Rosenblatt & Lacaire record sixth inning home runs in 19-9 game one victory
HARTFORD, Conn. (April 3, 2017) – The Western New England University baseball team split a Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) doubleheader with Gordon College on Monday at Murren Family Field on the campus of Trinity College. The Golden Bears erupted offensively in the opener on their way to a 19-9 victory, before falling 4-2 in game two.
Western New England 19, Gordon 9
• Junior infielder Jared Rosenblatt (Avon, Conn.) was among five Golden Bears to drive in multiple runs in game one, as he went 2-for-4 at the plate with a triple, a home run and four RBI.
• Sophomore outfielder Erik Lacaire (Worcester, Mass.) also had a pair of extra base hits with a double, a home run and four RBI, while junior Steve Rivela (Hudson, Mass.) and sophomores Alex Loparco (Riverside, Conn.) and Ben LaCroix (Branford, Conn.) drove in three runs each.
• Senior Dean Demers (Sandy Hook, Conn.) posted a 2-for-3 effort with a walk and two runs scored out of the leadoff spot for Gordon, while junior Addison Tarr (Oxnard, Calif.) was among four Fighting Scots to record two RBI.
• Gordon scored three runs off Western New England sophomore left-hander Bob Hamel (Southwick, Mass.) in the top of the first inning.
• The Golden Bears sent 15 batters to the plate and scored ten runs in the bottom of the third. Lacaire and Rivela drove in two runs apiece in the frame, while Loparco cleared the bases with a three-run triple to left field.
• Western New England added four more runs in the fourth to open up a 14-3 lead. Rosenblatt highlighted the inning with a two-run triple to left center.
• Gordon got four runs back in the top of the fifth, but Western New England scored twice in the bottom half of the inning on a two-run single by LaCroix. Lacaire and Rosenblatt both homered over the left field fence in the sixth to cap the scoring for the Golden Bears.
• Gordon plated a pair of runs in the seventh to cut the final margin to ten.
Gordon 4, Western New England 2
• Rivela accounted for two of Western New England's five hits, while Rosenblatt went 1-for-3 with one RBI.
• Gordon sophomore third baseman Daniel Quint (Wells, Maine) posted a 2-for-4 effort with two runs scored.
• Senior left-hander Matt Amore (Pequannock, N.J.) was strong on the mound for the Fighting Scots, as he allowed just two runs on five hits over a complete game performance.
• Gordon again struck first in game two, scoring three runs in the fourth. After the Fighting Scots loaded the bases with one out, freshman John Lagerfeldt (Stratford, Conn.) singled to right field, plating Quint. Demers then drew a walk with the bases still loaded, before a wild pitch allowed another run to score.
• Rosenblatt's big day continued with an RBI single in the bottom of the fourth, but Gordon got the run right back in the fifth on an RBI double by sophomore Alex Willey (San Diego, Calif.).
• Western New England added one more run in the sixth when Rivela delivered an RBI single to center field.
• Loparco reached on an error to lead off the seventh, but Amore was able to escape the situation unscathed as Gordon salvaged a split.
• Western New England's 19 runs in the opener are its most this season and highest total since scoring 22 in a 22-3 win over New England College on April 9, 2011.
• The Golden Bears recorded 15 walks in game one, including four by sophomore outfielder Joe Cassella (Wallingford, Conn.).
• Rosenblatt drove in five runs over the two games, while Rivela recorded four RBI.
Western New England (9-7, 1-2 CCC) is scheduled to return to action on Wednesday with a non-conference contest at Keene State, while Gordon (4-9, 1-1 CCC) heads home to host Norwich.