Vigliotti tosses five scoreless frames, Morin records RBI double
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (April 27, 2017) – The Brandeis University baseball team rallied past Western New England University with four runs over the final two innings to earn a 4-1, non-conference victory over the Golden Bears on Thursday afternoon at Trelease Park.
• Senior first baseman Daniel Morin (Salem, N.H.) went 1-for-3 at the plate and drove in Western New England's lone run with an RBI double in the fourth inning.
• Making his first career start on the mound, freshman right-hander Matt Vigliotti (Verplanck, N.Y.) tossed five scoreless frames, striking out two batters and allowing six hits.
• Brandeis senior outfielder Ryan Tettemer (Westfield, Mass.) went 3-for-5 and recorded the game-winning hit with a two-run triple in the ninth inning. Freshman Tim Lopez (Brooklyn, N.Y.) and sophomore Kyle Lussier (Hingham, Mass.) added two hits each for the Judges.
• Freshman right-hander Albert Gutierrez (Miami, Fla.) got the start for Brandeis and surrendered one run on three hits over five innings, before freshman lefty Greg Tobin (Medway, Mass.) came on in relief and picked up the win (1-4) with four shutout frames.
• After being limited to just one hit over the first three innings, Western New England opened the scoring in the bottom of the fourth. Freshman Kevin Johnson (Waterford, Conn.) led off with a single to left field, and after the next two batters flied out, Morin came through with a two-out, RBI double that sailed over the head of Brandeis' left fielder and rolled to the fence.
• Vigliotti escaped a first and third jam in the fifth inning, before giving way to sophomore right-hander Jeremy Morris (Montrose, N.Y.), who worked a 1-2-3 sixth and a scoreless seventh.
• Brandeis was able to plate the game-tying run in the top of the eighth, as Lopez singled up the middle with one out before moving up to second when freshman Dan O'Leary (Lynnfield, Mass.) was hit by a pitch. Lopez and O'Leary then executed a double steal, before Lopez came in to score on a Western New England throwing error.
• The Judges then pulled ahead with a two-out rally in the ninth. Sophomore Liam Davey (Cheshire, Conn.) retired the first two batters he faced, but walked the next two. Tettemer came up next and tripled into the gap in right center field, scoring two runs, while an error on the relay throw allowed him to cross the plate as well.
• Morin has recorded ten hits over his last six games.
• In nine appearances this season, Vigliotti is 2-0 with a 3.14 ERA and ten strikeouts in 14.1 innings.
Western New England (19-13) will be back in action tomorrow with a Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) doubleheader at Eastern Nazarene, while Brandeis (5-18) is on the road at Trinity.