Johnson reaches base four times, going 3-for-4 with a walk and a triple
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (April 29, 2017) – The Western New England University baseball team dropped a 13-5, non-conference decision to Westfield State University on Saturday afternoon at Trelease Park.
• Freshman infielder Kevin Johnson (Waterford, Conn.) reached base four times with a walk, a triple and two singles, while sophomore Alex Loparco (Riverside, Conn.) and freshman Jamie Schofield (Darien, Conn.) drove in two runs each.
• Senior Dan Rokitowski (Wappingers Falls, N.Y.) was one of three Owls to record multiple hits and drive in multiple runs, as he went 2-for-6 at the plate with three RBI. Sophomore Colin Dunn (Westfield, Mass.) also finished with two hits and two RBI, while classmate Tyler Beach (Quincy, Mass.) posted a 3-for-4 effort at the plate with a double, two RBI and three runs scored.
• An RBI single by senior Arismendy Larancuent (Westfield, Mass.) in the top of the second staked Westfield State to a 1-0 lead. The Owls added three runs the following inning, two of which scored on a home run by junior John Lippincott (Barkhamsted, Conn.), to open up a 4-0 advantage.
• Western New England got one run back in the bottom half of the inning on an RBI single by Loparco, but Westfield State tacked on two more runs in the fourth and four in the fifth to extend their lead to nine (10-1).
• The Golden Bears plated three runs in the sixth, as Schofield and sophomore Erik Lacaire (Worcester, Mass.) drew consecutive walks with the bases loaded and Loparco followed with an RBI groundout.
• Both teams scored a single run in the seventh before Westfield State added two more in the eighth.
• Westfield State, which recorded 16 hits in the game, scored in six of nine innings.
• Johnson has recorded multiple hits on five occasions this season.
Western New England (21-14) will be right back in action tomorrow at the University of Southern Maine, while Westfield State (27-6) returns home to host Williams.