Golden Bears Shut Out Gordon for the First Time Ever on Jackson's First-Half Goal

Golden Bears Shut Out Gordon for the First Time Ever on Jackson's First-Half Goal
SPRINGFIELD, Mass.--In a young season already full of accomplishments, the Western New England University field hockey team added another milestone on Tuesday. The Golden Bears shut out Gordon College, 1-0, for the first time ever and defeated the Fighting Scots for the second time in the all-time series. The Golden Bears, who snap a four-game losing streak to Gordon, improve to 4-2 overall and 1-1 in the Commonwealth Coast Conference, while the visitors fall 2-4 and 1-2

Sophomore Allison Jackson scored the only goal of the contest in the 19th minute and the Western New England defense did the rest. Receiving the ball in the arc, freshman Emily Antinozzi made a pass to her left to Jackson in front of the goal, where she took a shot that a Gordon player (with the goalie out of position) stopped. The officials, however, ruled that the ball crossed the goal-line with the player too far back in the cage, giving Jackson her fourth tally of the fall.

Despite the low-scoring affair, the Golden Bears did dominate in terms of possession time and a few key statistical categories including shots (14-2), shots on goal (8-2) and penalty corners (17-5).

Gordon's best scoring chance came late in the first half. Substitute Madison St Julien cut through the WNE defense at midfield along the right wing, centering a pass to a wide-open Emily Allcroft about 15 yards from goal. Allcroft partially fanned on the shot while sophomore goalie Grace Trupe came off her line and calmly kicked away the challenge out of danger.

Trupe made two saves in 64 minutes and 49 seconds of action to earn her second shutout this season, lowering her goals-against average to 1.91--good for fourth in the CCC. Shannon Hicks stopped seven WNE shots to keep the Fighting Scots within striking distance.

Desperate to get the tying goal and send the game into overtime, Gordon had a counter-attack with a minute left but senior Sabrina Lyesiuk intercepted the long breakout pass attempt on the visitors' side of the 30-yard line to preserve the win.

Western New England is back in action at 6 p.m. Friday in Bristol, R.I., where it will face CCC foe Roger Williams University.