Golden Bears will be back in action on Tuesday at Gordon
BIDDEFORD, Maine (September 17, 2016) – The Western New England University field hockey team dropped a 7-0 decision at the University of New England this afternoon in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at UNE's Big Blue Turf.
• Despite surrendering seven goals, Western New England junior goalkeeper Grace Trupe (Cardiff, Calif.) matched her season-high with 13 saves.
• Senior forward Nicole Matarozzo (Wolfeboro, N.H.) scored a pair of early goals for the Nor'easters before adding an assist in the second half.
• Matarozzo opened the scoring just 38 seconds into the contest, beating Trupe with a shot through a crowd of players to give the Nor'easters a 1-0 lead.
• UNE doubled its advantage at the 11:57 mark, when Matarozzo stuffed home a rebound at the left post. The home team added two more goals in the first half and took a 4-0 lead into the break.
• Junior forward Vonde Saunders (Center Conway, N.H.) scored on a deflection 7:03 into the second half, the first of three UNE goals over the final 35 minutes.
• Sophomore forward Emily Antinozzi (Rye, N.Y.) accounted for two of Western New England's three shots on goal.
Both teams will be back in action on Tuesday, as Western New England (2-3, 1-1 CCC) hits the road to face Gordon, and UNE (5-1, 1-0 CCC) remains at home to host Endicott.