DeLima fuels comeback with two goals
BRISTOL, R.I. (October 22, 2016) – The Western New England University field hockey team rallied from a late one-goal deficit to earn a 3-1 victory over Roger Williams University this afternoon at Bayside Field.
• Junior forward Brittany DeLima (Branchville, N.J.) fueled the comeback with two goals over the final ten minutes of regulation, including the equalizer in the 61st minute and an insurance tally just over two minutes later. She finished with a team-high five shots.
• Junior goalie Grace Trupe (Cardiff, Calif.) stopped nine of the ten shots that she faced.
• Roger Williams senior forward Katherine Mahoney (West Suffield, Conn.) fired a game-high six shots and scored the Hawks' lone goal in the 17th minute
• Mahoney staked Roger Williams to a 1-0 lead at the 16:27 mark with an unassisted put back goal, her third of the season.
• Western New England trailed by the same margin at halftime after being outshot 9-3.
• The Golden Bears broke through for the equalizer with just 9:31 remaining in regulation, as DeLima scored on a feed from classmate Michelle Carlson (Hackettstown, N.J.).
• Just 1:12 later, Western New England pulled ahead on a penalty corner play with freshman midfielder Jessica Clifford (Auburn, Mass.) notching her third goal of the season.
• DeLima capped the three-goal surge with her second of the contest and tenth this season at the 62:39 mark.
• Western New England held a 6-5 edge in penalty corners, but the Golden Bears were outshot 20-14.
• DeLima's two-goal effort snaps her three-match pointless streak. She leads Western New England and ranks fourth in the CCC with 35 points on ten goals and 15 assists.
• The Golden Bears are 2-0 against the Hawks this fall after posting a 3-2 win in Springfield on September 14.
Western New England (8-8, 7-3 CCC) returns to action on Wednesday at Endicott, while Roger Williams (3-13, 3-8 CCC) travels to Western Connecticut on Tuesday.