Carlson scores for Golden Bears, Trupe records 11 saves
BEVERLY, Mass. (September 30, 2017) – The Western New England University field hockey team fell to Endicott College, 2-1, in double overtime on Saturday afternoon in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at North Field.
• Senior forward Michelle Carlson (Hackettstown, N.J.) put a team-high seven shots on target and scored her seventh goal of the season.
• Senior goalie Grace Trupe (Cardiff, Calif.) stopped 11 of the 13 shots that she faced in the contest.
• Juniors Maggie O'Reilly (Cheshire, Conn.) and Sophia Cogliano (Saugus, Mass.) both scored for the Gulls, and freshman Taylor Farrin (Danvers, Mass.) totaled nine saves in goal.
• Carlson staked the Golden Bears to a 1-0 lead just 2:10 into the contest when she scored on a feed from senior Lauren Palmateer (Coxsackie, N.Y.).
• With just under eight minutes to play in the first half, O'Reilly notched her first goal of the season to tie the game at 1-1.
• Trupe and Farrin kept the game scoreless throughout the remainder of regulation and the first overtime period.
• Five minutes into the second overtime, Cogliano scored the game-winner to keep the Gulls unbeaten in CCC play.
• Endicott outshot Western New England 24-14 and held a 21-5 advantage in penalty corners.
• The last five meetings between the Gulls and Golden Bears have all been decided by one goal.
• Carlson ranks second on the team and fifth in the CCC with 16 points on seven goals and two assists this season.
Both teams will be back in action on Tuesday, as Western New England (4-4, 2-3 CCC) travels to Roger Williams and Endicott (9-2, 5-0 CCC) makes the short trip to Gordon.