Western New England improves to 4-3 in CCC play
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (October 7, 2017) – Eight different Golden Bears scored as the Western New England University field hockey team rolled to an 8-1 victory over Nichols College on Saturday afternoon in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at Golden Bear Stadium.
• Senior defender Lauren Palmateer (Coxsackie, N.Y.) factored into three Western New England goals, as she scored her first of the season and assisted on two others.
• Sophomore midfielder Jessica Clifford (Auburn, Mass.) recorded a goal and an assist, while senior Allison Jackson (Mahopac, N.Y.) tallied a pair of assists for the Golden Bears.
• Nichols freshman forward Dana Edwards (Georgetown, Mass.) scored the Bison's lone goal in the first half.
• Clifford got the Golden Bears on the board on a penalty corner play just 2:40 into the contest with the help of an assist from senior Brittany DeLima (Branchville, N.J.).
• Clifford also had a hand in Western New England's second goal as well, as she set up sophomore Jacqueline Clark (Auburn, Mass.) to make it 2-0 at 13:40.
• Seniors Brianna Novaris (Plaistow, N.H.) and Jennifer Catuccio (Southbury, Conn.) scored just 17 seconds apart at 17:21 and 17:38, respectively, as the Golden Bears opened up a 4-0 advantage midway through the half.
• Edwards got the Bison on the board at the 22:25 mark, but Western New England led 6-1 at the break as senior Michelle Carlson (Hackettstown, N.J.) scored less than a minute later and freshman Haley Daigneault (Longmeadow, Mass.) tallied her fourth goal of the season with 12 seconds on the clock.
• Palmateer and senior Jenna Katsock (North Babylon, N.Y.) tacked on second half goals to cap the scoring in the contest.
• The Golden Bears outshot the Bison 24-6 and held an 11-3 advantage in penalty corners.
• Western New England senior goalkeepers Grace Trupe (Cardiff, Calif.) and Dominique Corveddu (Croton-On-Hudson, N.Y.) played 35 minutes each with both recording one save.
• Jackson leads the Golden Bears with seven assists this season.
Western New England (6-5, 4-3 CCC) will be back in action on Wednesday at Salve Regina, while Nichols (4-8, 0-7 CCC) hosts Roger Williams on Tuesday.