Trupe posts fourth 10+ save effort of the season
MIDDLETOWN, R.I. (October 11, 2017) – The Western New England University field hockey team was handed a 3-0 loss at Salve Regina University on Wednesday evening in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at Gaudet Field.
• Although she surrendered three goals, Western New England senior goalie Grace Trupe (Cardiff, Calif.) recorded ten saves, marking her fourth 10+ save performance of the season.
• Senior forward Brittany DeLima (Branchville, N.J.) was the lone Golden Bear to put multiple shots on target with two.
• Salve Regina senior forward Amber Cody (Pawling, N.Y.) scored her CCC-leading 20th goal of the season for the Seahawks, while freshman Tori Bickel (Harleysville, Pa.) recorded a goal and an assist.
• Senior goalkeeper Jessie Severino (Branford, Conn.) posted a nine-save shutout.
• Bickel got the home team on the board 6:17 into the contest with an unassisted goal. The Seahawks outshot the Golden Bears 18-8 in the first half and led 1-0 at the break.
• The freshman then set up sophomore Ashley Cody (Pawling, N.Y.) for the second goal of the contest as Salve Regina claimed a 2-0 lead 2:01 into the second half.
• Amber Cody capped the scoring at the 42:48 mark to give the Seahawks a 3-0 advantage, and they would go on to win by the same margin.
• Salve Regina outshot Western New England 24-16 and held a 12-10 edge in penalty corners.
• Six different Golden Bears put a shot on goal, but none were able to get one past Severino.
Both teams will be back in action on Saturday, as Western New England (6-6, 4-4 CCC) travels to Biddeford, Maine to take on the University of New England, and Salve Regina (9-4, 6-2 CCC) hits the road to face Endicott.