Golden Bears return to action on Tuesday at Mount Holyoke
BIDDEFORD, Maine (October 14, 2017) – Senior goalkeeper Grace Trupe (Cardiff, Calif.) made a career-high 17 saves, but the Western New England University field hockey team fell to the University of New England, 4-0, in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action on Saturday afternoon at UNE's Big Blue Turf.
• Trupe topped her previous career-high of 14 saves by three with today's 17-save effort. She made ten of her saves in the first half and tallied seven more over the final 35 minutes of play.
• Senior Hannah Buckley (Leominster, Mass.) led the way for the Nor'easters with a pair of goals.
• Buckley put the home team ahead 5:25 into the contest when she redirected a drive by senior Vonde Saunders (Center Conway, N.H.) past Trupe.
• UNE gained a 2-0 halftime cushion with a tally by sophomore Kendra MacDonald (Lenbanon, N.H.) in the 12th minute, after senior Liz Clark (Barre, Vt.) knocked down a bouncing ball in front of the goal.
• Buckley capped the scoring at the 56:10 mark after junior Brooke Lemerise (Bartlett, N.H.) scored on a rebound in the 49th minute.
• The Golden Bears were outshot by a 31-3 margin, while UNE held a 16-2 advantage in penalty corners.
• Trupe recorded 30 combined saves over two games against the Nor'easters this fall.
Both teams return to action on Tuesday, as Western New England (6-7, 4-5 CCC) travels to Mount Holyoke and UNE (12-4, 8-1 CCC) visits Gordon.