Clark, DeLima and Jackson score for Western New England
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (October 19, 2017) – The Western New England University field hockey team defeated Westfield State University, 3-1, in its non-conference finale on Thursday afternoon at Golden Bear Stadium.
• Seniors Allison Jackson (Mahopac, N.Y.) and Brittany DeLima (Branchville, N.J.) and sophomore Jacqueline Clark (Auburn, Mass.) scored one goal each for the Golden Bears.
• Senior goalkeeper Grace Trupe (Cardiff, Calif.) made one save in 60:14 of action.
• Westfield State sophomore Cora Rogers (Milford, Mass.) scored her team-leading ninth goal of the season on a feed from senior Rachel Bunce (East Dennis, Mass.).
• Clark put the Golden Bears ahead 6:20 into the contest, when she scored on a rebound following a long shot by senior Lauren Palmateer (Coxsackie, N.Y.).
• Trupe made her only save of the contest on a drive from the top of the circle by junior Carly Zona (Auburn, Mass.) early in the second half.
• Western New England doubled its advantage at the 48:29 mark on a penalty corner play. Westfield State freshman goalie Katie Vamosi (Easton, Mass.) made a save on a close-range shot by Clark, but DeLima collected the rebound, spun around, and snuck a shot inside the near post.
• Rogers pulled the Owls back to within a goal just over two minutes later after receiving a pass from Bunce and placing a shot into the left side of the cage.
• The Golden Bears answered 2:16 later to regain their two-goal edge, however, when Jackson charged towards the right side of the cage and had her shot saved, before collecting the rebound and burying an insurance tally.
• Western New England dominated the shot category by a 20-3 margin, and also held a 3-2 edge in penalty corners.
• Vamosi made 11 saves for the Owls.
• With 111 career points, DeLima needs 12 more to pass Cori Eggert '08 for second place on the program's all-time list.
The Golden Bears (7-8) remain at home to host Endicott in their Senior Day contest on Saturday at 1 p.m. Westfield State (7-8) is also in action on Saturday against Plymouth State.