Clark leads Western New England with goal and an assist
WENHAM, Mass. (October 28, 2017) – The Western New England University field hockey team scored three unanswered goals in the second half to earn a 3-1 victory over Gordon College on Saturday afternoon in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at Brigham Field.
• Sophomore forward Jacqueline Clark (Auburn, Mass.) led the way for the Golden Bears with a goal and an assist.
• Senior Brittany DeLima (Branchville, N.J.) and junior Halle Harvey (Millers Falls, Mass.) also scored for Western New England.
• Sophomore Amanda Poulin (Wilbraham, Mass.) and senior Emily Allcroft (Haydenville, Mass.) combined for Gordon's lone goal.
• Sophomore Madison Barron (Lebanon, Pa.) made a defensive save on a shot by Allcroft 16:02 into the contest as the score remained tied through the opening 35 minutes of play.
• After a scoreless first half, Poulin scored on an assist from Allcroft at the 50:08 mark to give the Fighting Scots a 1-0 lead.
• Just over two minutes later, DeLima equalized for the Golden Bears with a helper from Clark.
• Harvey gave Western New England a 2-1 lead with her second goal of the season at the 60:19 mark on a penalty corner play, and Clark added an insurance tally with the help of an assist from Barron late in regulation.
• Western New England was outshot by a 10-8 margin, but the Golden Bears limited the Fighting Scots to just two shots (none on goal) over the final 35 minutes of regulation.
• Western New England held a 10-7 edge in penalty corners.
• Senior goalie Grace Trupe (Cardiff. Calif.) needed to make just one save in the victory.
Western New England (9-9, 6-6 CCC), which earned the fourth seed in next week's CCC Tournament, will be on the road at top-seeded University of New England in the semifinal round on Wednesday. Gordon's season comes to a close at 3-15 (1-11 CCC).