Gelineau paces Golden Bears in season opener with team-highs in both points (20) and rebounds (nine)
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (November 15, 2016) – The Springfield College men's basketball team pulled away from Western New England University late in the second half to earn an 80-69 non-conference victory this evening in the 2016-17 opener for both teams at the Alumni Healthful Living Center.
• Senior guard Mike Gelineau (Waltham, Mass.) led the way for the Golden Bears, recording a team-high 20 points on 6-of-12 shooting from the field (including 3-of-7 from three-point distance) and 5-of-7 from the free throw line. Gelineau, who also grabbed a team-high nine rebounds, scored 19 of his 20 points in the second half.
• Senior forward Daniel Silva (Seekonk, Mass.) finished with 15 points on 6-of-12 shooting to go with two boards and two assists.
• Sophomore guard Mikey Pettway (Bridgeport, Conn.) was the third Golden Bear to score in double-figures with 11 points, while also corralling seven rebounds.
• Freshman guard Jake Ross (Northampton, Mass.) was impressive in his collegiate debut for Springfield, connecting on 11-of-20 field goals and 7-of-9 free throws on his way to a game-high 29 points. Ross also pulled down a game-high 11 rebounds to go with three blocks and two assists.
• Freshman forward Heath Post (Cheshire, Conn.) totaled 13 points, five boards and two blocks.
• Western New England held its largest advantage of seven (17-10) after Silva knocked down a three-pointer 7:26 into the contest, and the Golden Bears were able to maintain a lead for the majority of the half.
• Springfield pulled even (24-24) on a layup by freshman guard Trey Witter (Unionville, Conn.) with 5:37 left in the half, before taking the lead (29-28) on a Post jumper three minutes later. The Pride closed out the half with an 11-4 run over the final 5:12 to take a 37-30 advantage into the break.
• The Pride opened the second half with a 6-0 run, extending their lead to 13 (43-30), before Western New England answered with treys from Silva and Gelineau to bring it back down to seven.
• Fueled by Gelineau, the Golden Bears were able to cut their deficit to two (49-47) with 12:37 remaining, but they would get no closer.
• Western New England still trailed by two (56-54) following a Pettway jumper with 7:12 on the clock, before Springfield put together a 13-4 run over the next 3:39 to extend its lead back to 11 (69-58). The Pride would go on to win by the same margin.
• Springfield shot 50.9% (28-of-55) from the field without making a single three-pointer (0-for-12), while Western New England made 26-of-65 field goals (40%), including 9-of-28 threes (32.1%).
• Freshmen Mayo Aina (Providence, R.I.) and Mike McGuire (Garden City, N.Y.) recorded seven and six points, respectively, in their collegiate debuts for the Golden Bears.
• Springfield held a 37-36 advantage on the glass, and the Pride committed just ten turnovers to Western New England's 18.
Western New England (0-1) will be back in action on Friday night against Wheaton at the Herb Kenny Tip-Off Tournament in Middletown, Conn., while Springfield (1-0) takes on Dean at the Bridgewater State Tip-Off Classic.