Golden Bears shoot 48.6% from the field, including 52.2% from beyond the arc
MILTON, Mass. (February 11, 2017) – The Western New England University men's basketball team shot 48.6% from the field and 52.2% from beyond the arc in an 86-54 victory over Curry College this afternoon in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at Katz Gymnasium.
• Freshman forward Nana Appiah (Patterson, Calif.) led a balanced offensive effort for Western New England with 12 points on 5-of-8 shooting, including 2-of-3 from beyond the arc, to go with four rebounds and three assists.
• Senior guard Mike Gelineau (Waltham, Mass.) also scored 12 points on 5-of-10 shooting overall and 2-of-5 from three-point range while recording five steals, four boards and two assists.
• Freshman guard Mike McGuire (Garden City, N.Y.) chipped in with nine points and three rebounds.
• Freshman guard Jared Thorpe-Johnson (Dorchester, Mass.) paced Curry with a game-high 15 points on 4-of-10 shooting from the field, 3-of-9 from beyond the arc, and 4-of-4 from the free throw line to go with three steals and two assists.
• Freshman forward Kieran Carroll (Greenwich, Conn.) grabbed a game-high 11 rebounds (four offensive) while tallying six points and one block.
• Curry held an early 7-0 lead with the help of two three-pointers by freshman guard Dashawn Williams (New Haven, Conn.).
• Western New England answered with a 9-0 run, capped by a McGuire jumper at the 15:08 mark, as the Golden Bears claimed their first lead of the contest.
• After a Williams trey 2:53 later had the Colonels within three (16-13), Western New England utilized an 18-0 run with baskets from seven different players to open up a 34-13 cushion with just under five minutes remaining in the half.
• A traditional three-point play by Carroll on Curry's next possession sparked a 9-0 run that saw the Colonels pull to within 12 (34-22) with 58 seconds on the clock. Western New England stretched its lead back to 17 (39-22) at the break as senior forward Daniel Silva (Seekonk, Mass.) drained a three-pointer and Gelineau added a layup in the final minute.
• A pair of baskets by McGuire early in the second half pushed Western New England's cushion to 21 (43-22), and the Golden Bears did not allow their lead to fall below 20 the rest of the way.
• The Golden Bears continued to pull away from there, claiming a 30-point cushion (55-25) on a layup by freshman forward Reid Killeen (Amawalk, N.Y.) with 13:53 remaining, before cruising to a 32-point triumph.
• Western New England limited Curry to 34% shooting overall and 34.5% from beyond the arc.
• The Golden Bears held a 41-34 advantage on the glass, led by Killeen's team-high seven boards.
• Western New England scored 39 points off Curry's 28 turnovers.
Western New England (6-17, 4-12 CCC) returns home on Tuesday night for a key matchup against Roger Williams, while Curry (1-22, 0-16 CCC) travels to Wentworth on Wednesday.