Junior Mike Metcalf shoots one-over par 72, finishing in tie for 11th place
MIDDLEBURY, Vt. (September 18, 2016) – The Western New England University men's golf team finished in tenth place at the 33rd Duke Nelson Invitational following round two action today at The Ralph Myhre Golf Course on the campus of Middlebury College.
The Golden Bears, who sat in 12th place after round one yesterday, shot a combined score of 304 today and finished with a two-day total of 621. Skidmore College took the team title by three strokes with a score of 588, led by Mackenzie Nelson, who earned medalist honors after shooting a combined 141. Middlebury (591) and Trinity (606) finished second and third, respectively, in the 22-team field.
• Junior Mike Metcalf (Longmeadow, Mass.) led the Golden Bears with a one-over par 72 today and finished with a two-round total of 151, good for a tie for 11th place.
• Junior John Abbott (Higganum, Conn.), who shot a team-best 78 yesterday, improved his score by one stroke today and finished in a tie for 37th with a two-day total of 155.
• Senior Nick Shemkovitz (Meriden, Conn.) followed up Saturday's 81 with a three-stroke improvement during round two, finishing in a tie for 68th with a combined score of 159.
Also Competing for Western New England
• Senior Matt Fontaine (East Longmeadow, Mass.) 79+81=160 (T-71)
• Junior Joe Ciolek (South Hadley, Mass.) 89+77=166 (T-96)
Western New England will be back in action weekend at the Williams Fall Invitational, hosted by Williams College at Taconic Country Club in Williamstown, Mass.