WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. (September 25, 2016) – The Western New England University men's golf team posted a score of 321 during round two of the Williams Fall Invitational earlier today and placed eighth overall in the event, which was hosted by Williams College at Taconic Golf Club.
The Golden Bears opened play with a 318 on Saturday and sat in ninth place entering today's action. Williams took the team title with a combined score of 599, while Trinity (604) and Middlebury (619) finished second and third, respectively. Owen Elliott of Tufts earned medalist honors after topping the leaderboard with a one-over par 143 over the two rounds.
• Junior John Abbott (Higganum, Conn.), who fired a team-best 75 yesterday and was tied for tenth place overall in the 90-player field, turned in a three-over par 74 today and finished in a four way tie for sixth place with a combined score of 149. Abbott's five birdies over the two rounds led the Golden Bears and was tied for the third most in the tournament.
• Senior Nick Shemkovitz (Meriden, Conn.) followed up his opening round 80 with a 78 today, finishing in a tie for 26th with a score of 158.
Also Competing for Western New England
• Senior Matt Fontaine (East Longmeadow, Mass.) – T-54th (81+85=166)
• Junior Mike Metcalf (Longmeadow, Mass.) – T-54th (82+84=166)
• Junior Joe Ciolek (South Hadley, Mass.) – T-68th (85+85=170)
Western New England will be off next weekend, before returning to action on October 4-5 at the Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) Fall Qualifier, hosted by Eastern Nazarene College at South Shore Country Club in Hingham, Mass.