HINGHAM, Mass. (October 4, 2016) – The Western New England University men's golf team captured the Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) Fall Qualifier with a score of 308 earlier today at South Shore Country Club in Hingham, Mass.
With the victory, Western New England has earned the right to host next spring's CCC Championship, with the winner advancing to the NCAA Championship. The Golden Bears are seeking their third consecutive CCC title.
Western New England placed three players inside the top-five of the 34-player field to claim the title by eight strokes. Endicott (316), Nichols (319) and the University of New England (325) finished in second, third and fourth, respectively, earning their way into the CCC Championship next spring. Wentworth's Dan Howard turned in a one-under par 71 to capture medalist honors.
• Senior Matt Fontaine (East Longmeadow, Mass.) led the way for the Golden Bears, finishing second overall with a three-over par 75.
• Junior Mike Metcalf (Longmeadow, Mass.) fired a four-over 76, tying Nick Wage of Nichols for third place.
• Senior Nick Shemkovitz (Meriden, Conn.) was the third Golden Bear to post a top-five performance, as he finished fifth overall with a score of 77.
Also Competing for Western New England
• Junior Joe Ciolek (South Hadley, Mass.) – T-13th (80)
• Junior John Abbott (Higganum, Conn.) – T-19th (84)
Western New England will be off next weekend, before returning to action on Saturday, October 22 with the first round of the 82nd Annual New England Intercollegiate Golf Association Championship, held at The Captains Golf Course in Brewster, Mass.