Western New England to host Salve Regina on Saturday in home finale
WEST SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (February 16, 2017) – The No. 8/10 nationally ranked Endicott College men's ice hockey team utilized a four-goal second period to pull away from Western New England University on its way to a 9-0 victory this evening in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at the Olympia Ice Center.
• Sophomore CJ Totillo (Brooklyn, N.Y.) went 13-for-17 in the faceoff circle for the Golden Bears, while classmate Tyler Hines (North Haven, Conn.) put a team-high four shots on goal.
• Sophomore defenseman Logan Day (Seminole, Fla.) led the Gulls with his first career hat trick, while junior forward Jack Musil (Hull, England) recorded four points with two goals and two assists.
• Junior goaltender Kevin Aldridge (Birmingham, Mich.) registered an 18-save shutout.
• The Gulls opened the scoring at the 14:34 mark of the first period, when sophomore John Carricato (Ridge, N.Y.) won a faceoff in Endicott's offensive zone back to classmate Ryan Dougherty (Sterling Heights, Mich.). The defenseman slid the puck across the blue line to Day, who one-timed a slap shot from the point into the back of the net, giving the visitors a 1-0 lead.
• Endicott doubled its lead 3:26 into the second period with the help of a 5-on-3 advantage, as Day scored on a wrist shot from the high slot to make it 2-0. Sophomore Lloyd Hayes (West Newbury, Mass.) found the back of the net two and a half minutes later as the Gulls extended their lead to 3-0, before Day completed his hat trick on a feed from sophomore Ross Olsson (Billerica, Mass.) at the 8:13 mark of the frame. Musil capped Endicott's four-goal surge midway through the period, and the Gulls took a 5-0 advantage into the second intermission.
• Olsson netted a pair of goals in the third period, including a shorthanded tally that capped the scoring with 8:07 remaining.
• Endicott outshot Western New England 63-18 and held a 38-28 advantage in the faceoff circle.
• The Gulls entered tonight's action ranked No. 8 in the D3hockey.com Top 15 and No. 10 in the USCHO.com DIII Poll.
• Western New England freshman netminder Kyle Carducci (Hartford, Conn.) finished with 28 saves in just over 30 minutes of action, while sophomore Kevin Gollmer (Flourtown, Pa.) recorded 26 in relief.
Western New England (7-14-2, 4-11-1 CCC) hosts Salve Regina in a Senior Day matchup on Saturday at 2:40 p.m., while Endicott (18-3-2, 12-3-1 CCC) returns home to take on Becker at 2:50 p.m.