O'Dea, Giacomin score as Golden Bears and Seahawks split season series
PORTSMOUTH, R.I. (November 4, 2017) – The Western New England University ice hockey team was unable to complete its third consecutive third period comeback as Salve Regina University held off the Golden Bears, 3-2, on Saturday night in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at the Portsmouth Abbey Ice Rink.
• Junior forward Matt O'Dea (Orland Park, Ill.) and freshman defenseman Adamo Giacomin (Richmond Hill, Ont.) both scored for the Golden Bears, while juniors Steve Beck (Milton, N.Y.) and CJ Totillo (Brooklyn, N.Y.) were credited with assists.
• Junior goaltender Kevin Gollmer (Flourtown, Pa.) finished with 25 saves.
• Salve Regina sophomore forward Jack Billings (Oak Lawn, Ill.) scored the goal that would prove to be the game-winner in the first minute of the third period, and he also tallied an assist.
•.Freshman forward Danny Eruzione (Winthrop, Mass.) scored in the first period and provided an assist on Billing's game-winner.
• Salve Regina led 2-0 after the first period as senior forward Colin Clapton (Canton, Mass.) and Eruzione found the back of the net at the 12:52 and 16:47 marks, respectively.
• O'Dea cut Western New England's deficit in half just 29 seconds into the second period with his first goal of the season.
• Leading 2-1 at the second intermission, the Seahawks restored their two-goal advantage 55 seconds into the third period when Billings buried the game-winner on a feed from Eruzione.
• Just 19 seconds later, Salve Regina was whistled for a penalty and the Golden Bears took advantage of the power play opportunity, as Giacomin beat Seahawks' junior netminder Blake Wojtala (Trenton, Mich.) at the 1:30 mark to bring Western New England back to within a goal.
• Salve Regina was able to hold off the Golden Bears the rest of the way to secure the win as Wojtala stopped all six of the shots that he faced over the final 18:30 of regulation.
• The Seahawks outshot the Golden Bears 28-18, including 10-4 in the first period and 15-7 in the third.
• Western New England held a 35-25 advantage in the faceoff circle, led by Totillo and senior David DiSchaivi (Etobicoke, Ont.), who combined for 25 wins with 13 and 12, respectively.
• Giacomin has scored in consecutive games after registering a pair of assists in Western New England's season-opening win at Westfield State.
Both teams will be back in action next Friday, as Western New England (2-1, 1-1 CCC) travels to Milton, Mass. to take on Curry College and Salve Regina (2-1, 1-1 CCC) hosts Suffolk.