Audet & O'Dea score 42 seconds apart in second period
MILTON, Mass. (November 10, 2017) – The Western New England University ice hockey team erased a 2-0 deficit with a pair of goals midway through the second period to earn a 2-2 tie at Curry College on Friday night in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at Max Ulin Rink.
• Senior defenseman Matt Audet (Campbell, Calif.) and junior forward Matt O'Dea (Orland Park, Ill.) both scored for the Golden Bears, while senior captain Matt Smethurst (Rexford, N.Y.) recorded a pair of assists.
• Junior goaltender Kevin Gollmer (Flourtown, Pa.) finished with 39 saves on 41 shots.
• Freshman defenseman Brandon Zajicek (Albertville, Minn.) and junior forward Lionel Mauron (Lausanne, Switzerland) found the back of the net for the Colonels.
• After a scoreless opening period, Zajicek scored on a feed from senior forward Adam Valadao (Ajax, Ont.) just 1:47 into the second to give Curry a 1-0 lead.
• Mauron doubled the home team's advantage when he beat Gollmer at the 6:06 mark.
• Audet notched his first goal of the season at the 9:53 mark to cut Western New England's deficit in half, and the Golden Bears capitalized on a power play opportunity when O'Dea scored just 42 seconds later to tie the contest.
• Gollmer and Curry freshman goalie Frank Cundiff (Oceanside, N.Y.) kept the game scoreless the rest of the way, as the two netminders stopped all of the shots they faced through the remainder of the second period, as well as the final 20 minutes of regulation and the five-minute overtime session.
• Curry outshot Western New England 41-25, and the Colonels held a 50-33 advantage in the faceoff circle.
• Gollmer's 39 saves were his most through four games this season.
• Smethurst leads the Golden Bears with five assists.
Western New England (2-1-1, 1-1-1 CCC) and Curry (2-2-1, 1-1-1) complete their two-game series on Saturday evening, as the Golden Bears return home to host the Colonels at 6 p.m. at the Olympia Ice Center.