Hines scores late in third period for Golden Bears
CHARLESTOWN, Mass. (November 16, 2017) – The Western New England University ice hockey team was edged by Suffolk University, 2-1, on Thursday evening in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at Emmons Horrigan O'Neil Rink.
• Junior forward Tyler Hines (North Haven, Conn.) scored his first goal of the season late in the third period.
• Senior forward David DiSchiavi (Etobicoke, Ont.) provided an assist on Hines' tally.
• Senior Jack Jenkins (Billerica, Mass.) and sophomore Brian Brooks (Canton, Mass.) both found the back of the net for Suffolk.
• Brooks staked the Rams to a 1-0 lead midway through the first period with the help of assists from freshman Matt Bucher (Cromwell, Conn.) and junior Connor Parent (Danvers, Mass.).
• After a scoreless second period, Suffolk doubled its lead 2:21 into the third when Jenkins produced a power play goal.
• DiSchiavi set up Hines for his first goal of the season at the 16:55 mark of the third to get the Golden Bears back into the game, but Western New England was unable to complete the comeback as Suffolk held on for the win.
• Western New England outshot Suffolk 36-35, but the Rams held a 46-40 edge in the faceoff circle.
• Junior goaltender Kevin Gollmer (Flourtown, Pa.) finished with 33 saves for the Golden Bears.
• Suffolk junior netminder Michael Levine (Clarendon Hill, Ill.) stopped 35 of the 36 shots that he faced.
Western New England (2-3-1, 1-3-1 CCC) and Suffolk (2-4-0, 1-4-0) complete their two-game series on Saturday afternoon at 3:30 p.m. at the Olympia Ice Center.