Beck nets two more goals for Golden Bears
BIDDEFORD, Maine (December 8, 2017) – In a game that featured four ties and three lead changes, the University of New England ice hockey team scored the go-ahead goal with ten seconds remaining to earn a 6-5 victory over Western New England University on Friday night in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at Harold Alfond Forum.
• Junior forward Steve Beck (Milton, N.Y.) again helped carry the Western New England offense with a pair of goals, bringing his team-leading total to 11 this season.
• Senior David DiSchiavi (Etobicoke, Ont.) scored for the second straight game, while juniors Connor Graham (Norfolk, Mass.) and Stefan Koproske (Simsbury, Conn.) also found the back of the net for the Golden Bears.
• Junior CJ Totillo (Brooklyn, N.Y.) was credited with a pair of assists.
• Sophomore forward Ryan Bloom (Northville, Mich.) led the Nor'easters with a hat trick, including the game-winning goal late in regulation.
• Junior Andrew Slotnick (Canterbury, Conn.) and freshman Tyler Seltenreich (Littleton, Colo.) both posted two-point efforts with one goal and one assist each.
• Slotnick helped set up Bloom for the game's opening goal just 44 seconds into the contest, but Beck tallied a shorthanded goal just over four minutes later to even the score. The Golden Bears took a 2-1 lead into the locker room for the first intermission after Koproske buried his first goal of the season at the 15:27 mark.
• Western New England went up 3-1 on DiSchiavi's unassisted goal 58 seconds into the middle period. The Nor'easters answered with three straight scores, however, to claim their first lead with 6:39 remaining in the frame. Bloom notched his second goal of the contest just 20 seconds after DiSchiavi scored, before Seltenreich and Slotnick followed with power play strikes at 6:27 and 13:21, respectively.
• The Golden Bears tied the score again at the 18:23 mark on Graham's power play goal, but UNE restored its edge heading into the third period when sophomore Dimitris Jones (Seattle, Wash.) lit the lamp with one second on the clock.
• The game's fourth and final tie occurred 22 seconds into the third period when Beck registered his second goal of the game with the help of assists from senior defenseman Matt Audet (Campbell, Calif.) and junior defenseman Joe Mazza (East Longmeadow, Mass.).
• The 5-5 deadlock remained for the next 19+ minutes, until Bloom completed his hat trick with the game-winning goal in the final seconds.
• The Nor'easters outshot the Golden Bears 63-29 and held a 40-29 advantage in the faceoff circle.
• Sophomore goaltender Kyle Carducci (Hartford, Conn.) made 57 saves in the loss.
Western New England (4-8-1, 1-7-1 CCC) and UNE (6-3-2, 4-3-2 CCC) will be right back in action tomorrow as they complete their two-game series at the Olympia Ice Center in West Springfield, Mass., with opening faceoff set for 3 p.m.