O'Dea tallies two goals for Golden Bears
EVERETT, Mass. (January 25, 2018) – The Wentworth Institute of Technology ice hockey team scored three unanswered goals early in the third period to earn a 3-2 victory over Western New England University on Thursday evening in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at Allied Veterans Memorial Rink.
• Junior forward Matt O'Dea (Orland Park, Ill.) scored both of Western New England's goals, bringing his team-leading total to 16 this season.
• Senior forward Matt Smethurst (Rexford, N.Y.), junior defenseman Edmond Rogers (Creve Coeur, Mo.) and freshman defenseman Adamo Giacomin (Richmond Hill, Ont.) recorded assists for the Golden Bears.
• Junior Adam Lane (Sarnia, Ont.), sophomore Nate Chase (Plainfield, Ill.) and freshman Brenden Lloyd (Merrick, N.Y.) all scored for Wentworth in a span of 2:22 early in the third period.
• Sophomore Georgy Gorodetskii (Yekaterinburg, Russia) handed out assists on the Leopard's first and second goals.
Smethurst and Rogers set O'Dea up for the game's opening goal just under three minutes into the contest. Western New England held a 12-11 edge in shots after 20 minutes of play and led 1-0 at the first intermission.
O'Dea then made it 2-0 at the 11:15 mark of the second period, when he buried his second goal of the contest on a feed from Giacomin. Western New England junior goaltender Kevin Gollmer (Flourtown, Pa.) stopped all 12 of the shots he faced in the frame and all 23 over the first two periods as the Golden Bears held a 2-0 advantage heading into the third.
Lane got the Leopards on the board with his second goal of the season 1:11 into the third period, and Lloyd tied score at the 2:31 mark. Chase capped Wentworth's offensive surge just over a minute later, when he beat Gollmer to give the home team a 3-2 lead that it would not relinquish. The Golden Bears put ten shots on target in the third period, but they were unable to get one past Wentworth senior Ryan Hubbard (West Roxbury, Mass.).
• Wentworth outshot Western New England 40-31 and held a 37-33 advantage in the faceoff circle.
• Gollmer finished with 37 saves for Western New England, while Hubbard totaled 29 stops for the Leopards.
• O'Dea is riding a six-game point streak and has posted seven multi-point efforts this season,
Western New England (8-10-2, 3-9-1 CCC) and Wentworth (6-11-3, 4-6-3 CCC) will be back in action on Saturday afternoon as the Golden Bears are set to host the Leopards at the Olympia Ice Center at 3:30 p.m.