Dudeck leads Golden Bears with three goals, one assist
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (February 21, 2017) – The Keene State College men's lacrosse team outscored Western New England University 6-2 in the third quarter and 11-6 in the second half on its way to a 16-13 victory in the season opener for both teams this afternoon at Golden Bear Stadium.
• Senior Keegan Dudeck (Longmeadow, Mass.) led the way for the Golden Bears with three goals and one assist.
• Freshman midfielder Nick Gamba (East Islip, N.Y.) enjoyed an impressive collegiate debut, recording a team-high five points with one goal and four assists.
• Junior Marc Fiocco (Somers, N.Y.) went 12-for-21 at the faceoff X and picked up a team-high ten ground balls.
• Junor midfielder Hunter Arnold (Boxborough, Mass.) had a hand in seven of Keene State's 16 goals, scoring three himself and setting up four others.
• Senior Bryan Rotatori (Grafton, Mass.) helped fuel the Owls' second half rally, scoring three of his four goals in the third quarter.
• Freshman Oskar Djusberg (Abington, Mass.) staked the Golden Bears to a 1-0 lead just seven seconds into the contest, before Dudeck and senior Max Berteletti (Montgomery, N.Y.) added goals later in the quarter. Rotatori got the Owls on the board with 2:09 remaining in the period as Keene State faced a 3-1 deficit after 15 minutes of action.
• After Western New England restored its three-goal lead on senior Frank Medlicott's (Stanwood, Wash.) first of the season early in the second quarter, Keene State put together a 3-0 run to tie the score at the 6:54 mark. Medlicott, Djusberg and Fiocco all found the back of the net over the final 4:49 of the period as Western New England claimed a 7-5 lead heading into halftime.
• Keene State, which trailed 8-6 after Western New England junior Nicholas Beauchamp's (Wilbraham, Mass.) goal with 9:05 remaining in the third quarter, seized the momentum with a 5-0 run over the next seven minutes that featured two goals from Rotatori and one from Arnold. Gamba got one back for the Golden Bears with 1:08 on the clock, but Western New England trailed 11-9 heading into the final frame.
• Arnold completed his hat trick 40 seconds into the fourth quarter, before assisting on Keene State's next two goals as the Owls built a commanding 14-9 lead with 11:24 remaining.
• Western New England continued to fight back, pulling to within three (14-11) after goals by Beauchamp and Dudeck, but the Golden Bears were unable to complete the comeback. The two teams traded goals late as Keene State held on for the win.
• Keene State outshot Western New England 55-43.
• Western New England junior goalie Steven Kerr (Hopkinton, Mass.) finished with 22 saves on 38 shots.
• Junior Preston Stolberg (Highland Park, Ill.) went 10-for-11 at the faceoff X.
Western New England (0-1) returns to action on Saturday, March 4 with a non-conference contest against St. Lawrence at the Brunswick School in Greenwich, R.I., while Keene State (1-0) travels to RPI on Saturday.