Beauchamp & Fiocco post three-point efforts for Golden Bears
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (March 7, 2017) – The No. 5 nationally ranked Amherst College men's lacrosse team scored three unanswered goals over the final five minutes of regulation to earn a 10-8 victory over Western New England University this evening in non-conference action at Golden Bear Stadium.
• Juniors Nicholas Beauchamp (Wilbraham, Mass.) and Marc Fiocco (Somers, N.Y.) led the Golden Bears with two goals and one assist each, while senior Frank Medlicott (Stanwood, Wash.) added a pair of goals.
• Freshman Oskar Djusberg (Abington, Mass.) went 11-for-21 at the faceoff X and caused two turnovers.
• Sophomore midfielder Andrew Ford (Mendham, N.J.) paced a balanced Amherst offense that featured nine goal scorers with three points (two goals, one assist) while also recording four ground balls and three caused turnovers.
• Senior Matt Killian (Summitt, N.J.) also posted a three-point effort with one goal and two assists.
• After almost a full quarter of scoreless action, Beauchamp staked the Golden Bears to a 1-0 lead with 1:11 left in the opening frame on a feed from senior Michael Wilkins (East Longmeadow, Mass.).
• Amherst, which trailed 4-3 after Medlicott's go-ahead goal with 8:48 remaining in the second quarter, scored twice over the final 4:18 of the period to claim a 5-4 edge at the break.
• Each team found the back of the net twice in the third quarter, with Fiocco's tally at the 1:10 mark cutting Western New England's deficit to one (7-6) heading into the fourth.
• Beauchamp set up freshman Nick Gamba (East Islip, N.Y.) for the equalizer 1:32 into the fourth, and sophomore Jared Ward (Littleton, Mass.) gave the Golden Bears their final lead with 6:15 remaining in the contest.
• Sophomore Brogan Mahon (Garden City, N.Y.) tied the score with just under five minutes on the clock, and Killian tallied the goal that would serve as the game-winner at the 3:10 mark before sophomore Jack Norton (Newtown Square, Pa.) added an insurance goal 33 seconds later.
• The Golden Bears went a perfect 22-for-22 on their clear attempts.
• Amherst outshot Western New England 50-39.
• Western New England junior goalie Steve Kerr (Hopkinton, Mass.) finished with a game-high 17 saves.
Western New England (0-3) returns to action on Friday at SUNY Cortland, while Amherst (2-0) travels to No. 11 Bates on Saturday.