Berteletti, Medlicott & Beauchamp score three times each for Golden Bears
SYRACUSE, N.Y. (March 13, 2017) – A 7-0 first half run that began midway through the opening quarter propelled the Nazareth College men's lacrosse team to a 17-10 victory over Western New England University this evening in non-conference action at the Carrier Dome.
• Senior midfielder Max Berteletti (Montgomery, N.J.) led the Golden Bears with a team-high four points (three goals, one assist), while junior Nicholas Beauchamp (Wilbraham, Mass.) and senior Frank Medlicott (Stanwood, Wash.) added three goals each.
• Freshman Nick Gamba (East Islip, N.Y.) scored for the fifth straight game and recovered a team-high four ground balls, while classmate Oskar Djusberg (Abington, Mass.) caused four turnovers and recorded an assist.
• Senior Joe Eiskant (Vestal, N.Y.) and juniors Connor Chapman (Baldwinsville, N.Y.), Jacob Gray (Homer, N.Y.) and Paul Walter (Framingham, Mass.) all recorded hat tricks to lead the Nazareth offense, while junior Seth DeLisle (Fulton, N.Y.) won 18-of-22 faceoffs and collected 13 ground balls.
• Beauchamp opened the scoring for the Golden Bears at the 9:12 mark of the opening quarter, but Eiskant equalized for Nazareth 1:20 later, sparking a 7-0 run over the next 15+ minutes as the Golden Eagles opened up a 7-1 advantage.
• Goals from Gamba and Medlicott pulled Western New England back to within four (7-3) with 4:26 remaining in the half, but Nazareth tallied three goals the rest of the way, including two over the final ten seconds of the second quarter, to claim a 10-3 lead at the break.
• Nazareth, which had its lead cut to six (11-5) on Beauchamp's second goal of the contest at the 6:16 mark of the third quarter, closed out the period with a 3-0 run and held a 14-5 advantage heading into the fourth.
• The Golden Flyers led by as much as 11 (17-6) after consecutive tallies by Gray midway through the frame, before Western New England closed out the contest with a 4-0 run to shrink the final margin to seven.
• Junior goalie Steven Kerr (Hopkinton, Mass.) finished with 13 saves on 30 shots.
• Nazareth outshot Western New England 48-23 and held a 42-22 advantage in ground balls.
Western New England (0-5) will play its third consecutive neutral site contest on Friday night against No. 4 nationally ranked Ithaca College at the University of Tampa.