Medlicott leads Western New England with career-high five goals
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (April 19, 2017) – The Western New England University men's lacrosse team used a 7-0 second half run to pull away from Roger Williams University and earn a 17-8 victory on Wednesday evening in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at Golden Bear Stadium.
• Senior Frank Medlicott (Stanwood, Wash.) powered the Golden Bears offensively with a career-high five goals, while junior Nicholas Beauchamp (Wilbraham, Mass.) also recorded five points on three goals and two assists.
• Sophomore Jared Ward (Littleton, Mass.) scored three goals and handed out one assist, while senior Keegan Dudeck (Longmeadow, Mass.) and freshman Nick Gamba (East Islip, N.Y.) finished with three points each.
• Junior goalie Steven Kerr (Hopkinton, Mass.) finished with 12 saves on 18 shots, and sophomore Hunter Cocks (Walden, N.Y.) went 17-for-25 (68%) at the face-off X while recovering a game-high 14 ground balls.
• Senior AJ Core (Syosset, N.Y.), sophomore Chris Bova (Ridgefield, Conn.) and freshman JP Shimko (Easton, Conn.) recorded one goal and one assist each for Roger Williams.
• Shimko set up freshman Drew Mullin (Ridgefield, Conn.) for the game's opening goal just over a minute into the contest.
• Western New England outscored Roger Williams 6-0 over the remainder of the period with two goals each from Medlicott, Ward and Beauchamp to open up a 6-1 advantage.
• Gamba and Medlicott both scored early in the second quarter as the Golden Bears extended their lead to seven (8-1). Roger Williams closed the gap to four (8-4) at the break after ending the half with a 3-0 run.
• Junior Justin MacIntyre's (Norwalk, Conn.) goal at the 11:05 mark of the third quarter had the Hawks back to within three.
• Dudeck answered for the Golden Bears just over a minute later, however, sparking a decisive 7-0 run over the next 10:51 that saw Western New England claim a 15-5 advantage with 14:02 left in the game.
• Roger Williams generated just three goals the rest of the way as the Golden Bears cruised to a nine-goal triumph.
• Western New England's 17 goals are a season-high.
• The Golden Bears outshot the Hawks 39-38 and held a slim 23-21 edge in ground balls.
• Beauchamp (37), Dudeck (33) and Medlicott (31) rank first, second and third on the team in points, respectively.
Both teams will be back in action on Saturday, as Western New England (5-9, 5-1 CCC) travels to Boston to take on Wentworth, and Roger Williams (8-6, 4-2 CCC) heads to Biddeford, Maine to face the University of New England.