Beauchamp registers seven-point effort (4G, 3A) for Golden Bears
AMHERST, Mass. (March 6, 2018) – No. 11 ranked Amherst College led by four goals after one quarter and seven at halftime on its way to a 19-10 win over Western New England University on Tuesday evening in non-conference men's lacrosse action at Pratt Field.
• Senior midfielder Nicholas Beauchamp (Wilbraham, Mass.) fueled the Western New England offense with a seven-point performance, as he scored four goals and set up three others. Beauchamp put eight of his team-high 15 shots on target.
• Sophomore attackman Brendan Lyons (Syosset, N.Y.) recorded a goal and an assist, while five other Golden Bears found the back of the cage.
• Amherst was led by sophomore Colin Minicus (Darien, Conn.), who matched Beauchamp with four goals and three assists.
• Junior Evan Wolf (Wynnewood, Pa.) also tallied four goals, while sophomore Jimmy McAfee (Perrineville, N.J.) chipped in with a goal, three assists and a team-high six ground balls.
Amherst raced out to a 2-0 lead just 25 seconds into the contest with goals from Wolf and sophomore Matt Solberg (East Grand Rapids, Mich.), both of which were assisted by McAfee.
Lyons got the Golden Bears on the board at the 11:27 mark on a feed from Beauchamp, but the Mammoths answered with two more goals to claim a 4-1 advantage with 9:43 to play in the opening frame.
Despite goals from Beauchamp (6:36) and sophomore Nick Gamba (East Islip, N.Y.) (3:56) later in the quarter, Western New England trailed 7-3 through 15 minutes of action.
Amherst picked up right where it left off in the second stanza, as the Mammoths utilized four different goal scorers to open up an 11-3 cushion midway through the period.
Beauchamp tallied his second goal of the night at the 6:53 mark, and neither team scored for the remainder of the half as the Golden Bears faced an 11-4 deficit at the break.
Amherst stretched its lead to ten (16-6) with a 5-2 third quarter advantage, and the Mammoths went on to win by nine.
• Amherst held a 19-14 faceoff edge, led by sophomore Dylan Finazzo (Bohemia, N.Y.), who went 17-for-27 at the X.
• The Mammoths outshot the Golden Bears 58-44 and won the ground ball battle, 34-29.
• Western New England was successful on 21-of-22 clear attempts, while Amherst went 16-for-19.
Western New England (2-1) travels to Syracuse, N.Y. on Sunday to take on Nazareth College at the Carrier Dome, while Amherst (2-0) heads to Maine to face Bowdoin on Saturday.