Ward leads WNE with two goals & two assists
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (March 17, 2018) – The Western New England University men's lacrosse team was limited to two second half goals in an 8-7 setback to Clark University on Saturday afternoon in non-conference action at Golden Bear Stadium.
• Junior attackman Jared Ward (Littleton, Mass.) factored into four of Western New England's seven goals, as he scored a pair and set up two others.
• Sophomore Nick Gamba (East Islip, N.Y.) recorded a hat trick, while senior Nicholas Beauchamp (Wilbraham, Mass.) handed out two assists.
• Sophomore Oskar Djusberg (Abington, Mass.) scooped up four ground balls and caused four turnovers.
• Clark was led by junior Brandon King (Eastham, Mass.) and sophomore Chris Rasco (Huntington, N.Y.), who scored three goals each.
• Sophomore Andrew Hollerbach (West Hartford, Conn.) tallied with two goals and an assist for the Cougars, while junior goalie Nathan Maselek (Marblehead, Mass.) finished with 11 saves.
After Gamba got the scoring started 55 seconds into the contest, Clark took control with four consecutive goals, including two straight from King (7:39, 4:26) to cap the run.
Western New England senior Justin Holl (Mount Laurel, N.J.) scored on a feed from Ward with 2:41 left in the opening period to cut the deficit to two (4-2), but the Cougars restored their three-score cushion on Rasco's second goal of the game with 1:34 on the clock.
The Golden Bears clamped down defensively in the second quarter and kept Clark off the scoreboard, while Ward buried a pair of goals (11:59, 11:31) and Gamba found the back of the cage with an assist from Beauchamp late in the frame to tie the score (5-5) heading into halftime.
King scored to put Clark back ahead (6-5) at the 11:30 mark of the third quarter, and Rasco beat Western New England senior goalie Steven Kerr (Hopkinton, Mass.) as time expired in the period to make it a two-goal game.
The Golden Bears cut their deficit to one on Gamba's third goal just 24 seconds into the fourth, but they were unable to close the gap as Hollerbach scored with 5:37 to play, giving Clark an 8-6 lead.
Sophomore Brendan Lyons (Syosset, N.Y.) scored Western New England's final goal with 4:33 remaining in the contest. The Golden Bears had an opportunity to equalize in the closing seconds, but freshman Conor Tracy's (Walpole, Mass.) shot was saved by Maselek.
• Western New England held a narrow edge in shots (37-34), while the two teams were even with 31 ground balls each.
• Led by junior Hunter Cocks (Walden, N.Y.), the Golden Bears held a 10-7 faceoff advantage.
• Following his four-point effort, Ward is now tied with Beauchamp for the team lead with 19 points.
Western New England (3-3) will be on the road for its next two games, beginning with a neutral site contest against St. Lawrence University in Virginia Beach, Va. on Wednesday. Clark (4-2) travels to Bowdoin on Tuesday.