Western New England outscores Curry 5-0 in second quarter
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (March 27, 2018) – The Western New England University men's lacrosse team took control in the second quarter of a 15-8 victory over Curry College on Tuesday evening in the Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) opener for both programs at Golden Bear Stadium.
• Junior attackman Jared Ward (Littleton, Mass.) led a balanced Western New England offense that featured nine different goal scorers with five points (four goals, one assist).
• Freshman Jared Newall (Stratford, Conn.) registered his first career hat trick, while junior Tim Breau (Lima, N.Y.) and sophomore Nick Gamba (East Islip, N.Y.) combined for seven assists.
• Freshman Mitch Weiss (Westfield, Mass.) was a force on defense with game-highs in both ground balls (seven) and caused turnovers (five).
• Senior goalie Steven Kerr (Hopkinton, Mass.) made 13 saves on 21 shots.
• Junior Devin Newell (Medford, Mass.) tallied three goals for the Colonels, while senior Tom Cashin (Boxford, Mass.) and junior MJ Urbano (Wakefield, Mass.) chipped in with one goal and one assist apiece.
Curry led 2-1 following consecutive goals by Newell at 8:04 and 3:50 of the opening quarter. Western New England pulled back ahead late in the frame, however, as senior Nicholas Beauchamp (Wilbraham, Mass.) and Newall both scored over the final 1:20 of the period.
The Golden Bears dominated the second quarter, outscoring the Colonels 5-0 to open up an 8-2 cushion at halftime. Ward tallied a man-up goal at the 11:28 mark of the quarter, before striking again just 17 seconds later following a faceoff win by junior Hunter Cocks (Walden, N.Y.).
Newall's second goal of the night with 7:32 left in the period upped Western New England's lead to 6-2, and sophomore Oskar Djusberg (Abington, Mass.) made it 7-2 with just under five minutes to play, before classmate Brendan Lyons (Syosset, N.Y.) capped the scoring in the half with nine seconds on the clock.
The Golden Bears outscored Curry 4-3 in the third quarter with goals from senior Justin Holl (Mount Laurel, N.J.), Ward, Weiss and freshman Connor Cronin (Putnam Valley, N.Y.).
Leading 12-5 heading into the final frame, Western New England would go on to win by the same margin after both teams tallied three goals in the fourth quarter.
• Western New England held an 18-9 faceoff advantage using the trio of Cocks (11-of-17), freshman Jack Seiter (Ridgewood, N.J.) (5-of-7), and senior Preston Stolberg (Highland Park, Ill.) (2-of-3).
• The Golden Bears outshot Curry 45-27 and converted 3-of-5 man-up opportunities.
• Following his five-point effort, Ward now leads Western New England with 29 (19 goals, ten assists) this season.
Western New England (4-5, 1-0 CCC) travels to Biddeford, Maine to face the University of New England on Saturday at 4 p.m. Curry (5-3, 0-1 CCC) is off until next Wednesday, when the Colonels host Nichols.