Western New England holds UNE scoreless over 40 minute stretch in final three quarters
BIDDEFORD, Maine (March 31, 2018) – The Western New England University men's lacrosse team utilized a 10-0 run that spanned three separate quarters to earn a 12-9 victory over the University of New England on Saturday afternoon in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at the Big Blue Turf.
• Junior Tim Breau (Lima, N.Y.) and sophomore Nick Gamba (East Islip, N.Y.) led the Western New England offense with two goals and two assists each, while senior Mikey Wood (Southborough, Mass.) registered a hat trick and classmate Nicholas Beauchamp (Wilbraham, Mass.) chipped in with two goals and one assist.
• Making his first appearance of the season, sophomore goalie Sean McCusker (Northport, N.Y.) stopped 12 of the 15 shots that he faced in 45 minutes of action.
• Sophomore Garett Bozek (Nashua, N.H.) and junior Alex Zadworny (Florence, Mass.) paced the Nor'easters with four points each, as Bozek tallied three goals and one assist, and Zadworny scored twice to go with a pair of assists.
UNE was rolling early, as the Nor'easters scored the first four goals of the contest and led 6-2 at the conclusion of the first quarter.
Sophomore Collin Morrow (Nashua, N.H.) buried his second goal of the game on a feed from Bozek at the 12:56 mark of the second quarter to give UNE a 7-2 advantage, but Western New England took control from there.
Gamba tallied an unassisted strike 48 seconds later, starting a 5-0 run to close out the half as the Golden Bears tied the score (7-7) heading into the break. Wood and Gamba both scored twice during the run, including Gamba's equalizing goal with five seconds left before halftime.
Western New England picked up right where it left off in the second half, as junior attackman Jared Ward (Littleton, Mass.) scored at the 10:11 mark of the third quarter to give the Golden Bears the lead (8-7) for good.
Western New England's defense continued to shut down the Nor'easters, while freshmen Jared Newall (Stratford, Conn.) and Matthew Greer (South Windsor, Conn.) and Beauchamp scored for the Golden Bears later in the quarter.
Leading 11-7 entering the final period, Breau found the back of the cage 38 seconds into the fourth to increase Western New England's cushion to five (12-7).
Bozek finally ended UNE's scoreless drought of over 40 minutes with 2:51 remaining in the contest, and he added another goal with 32 seconds on the clock, but the Nor'easters' deficit proved to be too much to overcome.
• The Nor'easters outshot the Golden Bears 49-28, while Western New England owned a 31-23 advantage in ground balls.
• The Golden Bears didn't allow the Nor'easters to capitalize on any of their seven man-up chances.
• UNE held a 13-10 faceoff edge, led by senior Matt Layton (Medford, N.Y.).
Both teams will be back in action on Wednesday, as Western New England (5-5, 2-0 CCC) returns home to host Wentworth, and UNE (4-5, 0-1 CCC) welcomes Gordon to Biddeford.