Gamba & Ward lead Golden Bears with four points each
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (April 4, 2018) – Sophomore midfielder Nick Gamba (East Islip, N.Y.) scored the go-ahead goal with 3:38 remaining in regulation as the Western New England University men's lacrosse team secured an 11-9 victory over Wentworth Institute of Technology on Wednesday evening at Golden Bear Stadium.
• Gamba and junior attackman Jared Ward (Littleton, Mass.) fueled the Western New England offense with three goals and one assist each.
• Junior Hunter Cocks (Walden, N.Y.) was dominant at the faceoff X, going 19-for-23 and collecting a game-high 16 ground balls.
• Senior goalie Steven Kerr (Hopkinton, Mass.) made nine saves, including three in the fourth quarter to help preserve the win.
• Wentworth senior midfielder Kevin Butler (Jefferson, Mass.) powered the Leopards with a game-high four goals, while sophomore Kyle Doner (Lindenhurst, N.Y.) chipped in with two.
• Senior goalie Scott Boucher (Salisbury, N.H.) finished with 11 saves on 22 shots.
Western New England had no trouble scoring early, as the Golden Bears opened up a 3-0 lead three minutes into the contest with goals from Gamba and seniors Nicholas Beauchamp (Wilbraham, Mass.) and Mikey Wood (Southborough, Mass.).
Butler got the Leopards on the board at the 5:13 mark and Doner made it a one-goal game (3-2) with an unassisted strike with 57 seconds left in the opening quarter, but Ward found the back of the cage with five seconds on the clock to give the Golden Bears a 4-2 lead heading into the second period.
Butler's second goal of the game early in the second quarter cut Wentworth's deficit to one, before junior Zach Tomaszek (Milford, Conn.) equalized for the Leopards at the 6:45 mark.
Beauchamp put the Golden Bears back ahead (5-4) with 3:24 remaining, but Butler tallied his third goal of the night just under two minutes later to knot the score heading into the break.
Western New England outscored Wentworth 4-2 in the third quarter as Gamba's unassisted tally at the 1:31 mark gave the Golden Bears a 9-7 advantage.
The Leopards battled back, however, pulling to within one on a goal by junior Jacob Eldred (Goffstown, N.H.) early in the final period before tying the contest for the fourth and final time when freshman Jack O'Neill (Groton, Mass.) beat Kerr with 4:52 to play.
Freshman Conner Cronin (Putnam Valley, N.Y.) set up Gamba for the go-ahead goal at the 3:38 mark, and Ward buried an insurance tally with 34 seconds on the clock to seal the triumph.
• The Golden Bears outshot the Leopards 36-28 and held a 38-20 ground ball advantage.
• Western New England was a perfect 14-for-14 in clear attempts.
• Gamba has recorded multiple points in eight straight contests. His 32 points this season rank third on the team and 15th in the CCC.
Western New England (6-5, 3-0 CCC) travels to Endicott on Saturday for a CCC showdown with the Gulls, while Wentworth (6-4, 1-3 CCC) returns home to host Salve Regina next Tuesday.