Golden Bears score three times in final 27 seconds to complete comeback
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (April 10, 2018) – The Western New England University men's lacrosse team erased a two-goal deficit in the final 27 seconds of the fourth quarter on its way to a thrilling 10-9 victory over Nichols College on Tuesday evening in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at Golden Bear Stadium.
• Senior attackman Mikey Wood (Southborough, Mass.) helped fuel the late rally, as he factored into three of Western New England's final five goals and scored the game-winner with six seconds on the clock. Wood finished with five points (four goals, one assist) to go with two ground balls and two caused turnovers.
• Senior Nicholas Beauchamp (Wilbraham, Mass.) recorded four points (one goal, three assists), while sophomores Nick Gamba (East Islip, N.Y.) and Brendan Lyons (Syosset, N.Y.) chipped in with three points each.
• Senior Hunter Cocks (Walden, N.Y.) was dominant at the faceoff X, winning 18-of-23 opportunities, including the final three down the stretch.
• Nichols was led by senior attackman MacKenzie Martin (Merrimack, N.H.), who compiled five points with three goals and two assists.
• Graduate student Reece O'Connor (North Grafton, Mass.) contributed two goals and one assist, while junior Jack Campanale (Shrewsbury, Mass.) scored twice for the Bison.
Nichols, which held a 5-3 edge at the break after outscoring Western New England 2-0 in the second quarter, still led 6-5 heading into the final period.
The Bison capitalized on a man-up opportunity with a goal from Martin just over three minutes into the fourth quarter to increase their advantage to 7-5, before Campanale (8:01) and O'Connor (5:57) scored later in the period to give the visitors a comfortable 9-5 lead.
Trailing by the same margin with under four minutes to play, Wood set up Lyons for a man-down goal at the 3:53 mark to get the comeback started.
Gamba then scored on a feed from Beauchamp with 2:05 to play, but the Golden Bears still faced a 9-7 deficit in the final minute.
Wood buried a shot in the top right corner of the cage to make it a one-score game with 27 seconds remaining, and Cocks won the ensuing faceoff following a Western New England timeout, leading to Oskar Djusberg's (Abington, Mass.) game-tying goal with 18 seconds to play.
The Golden Bears were able to secure possession yet again, and Gamba found Wood at the near post for the game-winner with six seconds on the clock.
Following a Nichols timeout, Cocks won the final faceoff to cap Western New England's improbable rally.
• The Golden Bears ended the game with five unanswered goals over the final 3:53 of the fourth quarter.
• Western New England outshot Nichols 49-25 and held a 41-17 advantage in ground balls.
• Senior goalie Steven Kerr (Hopkinton, Mass.) finished with seven saves, while Nichols junior Brian McKinley (Nashua, N.H.) stopped 17 of the 27 shots that he faced.
Both teams will be back in action on Saturday, as Western New England (8-5, 5-0 CCC) travels to Roger Williams, and Nichols (9-4, 2-3 CCC) returns home to host Becker.