Gamba carries offense with career-high six goals as WNE improves to 6-0 in CCC play
BRISTOL, R.I. (April 14, 2018) – The Western New England University men's lacrosse team used strong second and fourth quarter efforts to earn a 12-8 victory over Roger Williams University on Saturday afternoon in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at Bayside Field.
• Sophomore midfielder Nick Gamba (East Islip, N.Y.) carried the Western New England offense with a career-high six goals on 14 shots.
• Freshman midfielder Matthew Greer (South Windsor, Conn.) tallied a season-high five points with one goal and four assists.
• Junior Hunter Cocks (Walden, N.Y.) won 14-of-21 faceoffs and scooped up a game-high 13 ground balls, while sophomore Oskar Djusberg (Abington, Mass.) added nine ground balls and four caused turnovers.
• Roger Williams was led by freshman attackman Tim Mullane (Hanover, Mass.), who registered a hat trick and added an assist.
• Freshman midfielder Gabe Reale (Fairfield, Conn.) contributed two goals and one assist, while sophomore Jude Marzec (West Islip, N.Y.) and senior Justin MacIntyre (Norwalk, Conn.) chipped in with one goal and one assist each.
Gamba scored twice in the first quarter and sophomore Brendan Lyons (Syosset, N.Y.) added a goal with 3:46 left in the opening frame as Western New England held an early 3-1 edge. The Hawks closed out the period with two unanswered goals from MacIntyre and Mullane, however, to tie the score through 15 minutes of play.
Western New England controlled the second quarter, as the Golden Bears outshot the Hawks 9-2 and outscored the home team 4-1. Gamba tallied two more goals, while sophomore Johnny Shahpazian (New Providence, N.J.) found the back of the cage on a feed from freshman Jared Newall (Stratford, Conn.) with 4:27 on the clock to give Western New England a 7-4 advantage heading into the break.
Reale and Mulllane both scored for the Hawks in the third quarter, and Roger Williams limited the Golden Bears to one goal in the period to close the gap to two (8-6).
Western New England stretched its lead to four (10-6) with goals from Gamba and junior Tim Breau (Lima, N.Y.) at 12:37 and 7:07 of the fourth quarter, respectively, but the Hawks stayed within striking distance with goals from Mullane (6:14) and freshman Peter Navarro (Londonderry, N.H.) (4:18). Roger Williams would get no closer, however, as Gamba and Greer recorded late insurance tallies to extend the final margin back to four.
• Western New England outshot Roger Williams 38-20 and held a 58-40 advantage in ground balls.
• After recording 27 points as a freshman last spring, Gamba has compiled 42 points during his breakout sophomore campaign.
• The Golden Bears committed just 14 turnovers, their second lowest total this season.
Western New England (9-5, 6-0 CCC) returns home to host Williams in non-conference action on Tuesday, while Roger Williams (6-7, 2-4 CCC) travels to Nichols on Wednesday.