Junior Sam Brewer records one-save shutout in first collegiate appearance as goalkeeper
WESTFIELD, Mass. (September 13, 2017) – Senior Logan Pingree's (Middletown, Conn.) 67th minute goal proved to be the difference as the Western New England University men's soccer team edged Westfield State University, 1-0, in non-conference action on Wednesday night at Alumni Field.
• Pingree, an All-Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) second team selection last fall, scored his first goal of the season and 15th of his career to lift the Golden Bears to their second straight victory.
• Senior forward Troy Remillard (Palmer, Mass.), who leads NCAA Division III with ten goals this season, played all 90 minutes and accounted for three of Western New England's six shots on target.
• Making his first collegiate appearance at goalkeeper, junior Sam Brewer (Westford, Mass.) recorded one save behind a strong Western New England defensive effort to earn his first career clean sheet.
• Westfield State freshman goalkeeper Griffin Brown (Southbroough, Mass.) finished with five saves, including several impressive stops to keep the Owls in the contest.
• Pingree nearly got the Golden Bears on the board in the 27th minute with a shot that rung off the post. After the ensuing corner kick by graduate midfielder Kory Caster (Wilbraham, Mass.), sophomore defender Bryan Doyle (Southington, Conn.) had another scoring opportunity, but his shot struck the woodwork.
• The game remained scoreless into the second half, before Pingree found the back of the net for the only goal of the night at the 66:03 mark. After Caster had the ball poked away from him, Pingree gathered it, spun, and sent a shot into the upper corner.
• Brewer made his only save on a shot by Westfield State freshman Luis Nieves (Agawam, Mass.) in the 75th minute. Nieves also had an opportunity to equalize in the 90th minute, but sent his attempt over the crossbar.
• Western New England is 7-0 against Westfield State dating back to the 2011 season.
• The Golden Bears outshot the Owls 18-6 and held a 9-3 advantage in corner kicks.
• Although he was making his first collegiate appearance at goalkeeper, Brewer played the position for four years in high school at Westford Academy.
Western New England (4-1) opens CCC play on Saturday at the University of New England, while Westfield State (2-3) travels to Framingham State for its MASCAC opener.