Men’s Soccer Earns 2-2 Draw with No. 25 Brandeis

Chris Manousos scored the opening goal in Western New England's 2-2 draw with No. 25 Brandeis on Saturday. (Photo by Rachael Margossian)
Chris Manousos scored the opening goal in Western New England's 2-2 draw with No. 25 Brandeis on Saturday. (Photo by Rachael Margossian)

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (September 21, 2019) – The Western New England University men's soccer team battled No. 25 nationally-ranked Brandeis University through 90 minutes of regulation and two ten-minute overtime periods before settling for a 2-2 draw with the Judges on Saturday afternoon in non-conference action at Suprenant Field.

Top Performers
Seniors Charlie Argyle (Marshfield, Mass.) and Chris Manousos (Wethersfield, Conn.) both scored for the Golden Bears, while sophomore Jared Panson (West Windsor, N.J.) and freshman Adam Kulick (Cambridge, Mass.) found the back of the net for Brandeis.

Western New England senior goalkeeper Dylan Husted (South Deerfield, Mass.) finished with four saves, while Brandeis senior Greg Irwin (Passaic, N.J.), stopped five shots.

Game Review
Western New England jumped out to a 1-0 lead just 9:12 into the contest, as the Golden Bears were awarded a penalty kick and Manousos converted from the spot to put the home team ahead early.

At the 19:54 mark, Brandeis equalized when sophomore defender Michael Burch (Glastonbury, Conn.) sent a long pass into the box to Panson, who took one touch and fired a shot past Husted.

The Judges then pulled ahead in the 22nd minute, as a deflected shot by Panson landed at Kulick's feet, and the freshman warded off a Western New England defender before poking the ball past Husted and into the net.

Brandeis maintained its 2-1 edge for the remainder of the half, but the Golden Bears equalized in the 60th minute. Senior Connor Prindle (Shelton, Conn.) sent a long free kick into the box, and Argyle rose up for a perfectly placed header into the top right corner of the net.

Neither team was able to secure the go-ahead goal over the final 30 minutes of regulation, but both sides had scoring opportunities in the first overtime period. Brandeis had a goal called back early in the frame due to an offside call, while the Golden Bears were denied victory on a hand ball.

Following a scoreless second overtime session in which both teams put one shot on target, the contest ended in a 2-2 draw.

• Brandeis outshot Western New England 16-14, and the Judges held a 6-2 advantage in corner kicks.
• Saturday's contest was the first meeting between the two programs since 2016, when WNE and Brandeis met in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.
• Argyle leads the Golden Bears with four goals and ten points this season.

Up Next
Western New England (5-1-1) continues its five-game homestand on Wednesday with a non-conference contest against Trinity College at 4 p.m. Brandeis (3-2-2) plays its third consecutive road game on Tuesday at Wheaton.