Kalmer & Yawgel post clutch wins at No. 1 and No. 6 singles to complete comeback
MIDDLETON, Mass. (April 22, 2017) – The Western New England University men's tennis team rallied from a 4-3 deficit with wins at No. 1 and No. 6 singles to secure a 5-4 victory over the Wentworth Institute of Technology on Saturday evening in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at the Northeast Tennis Center.
• Freshman David Kalmer (Slingerlands, N.Y.) evened the match with his 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 triumph over Matthew Smith at No. 1 singles, setting up junior Kevin Yawgel's (Cromwell, Conn.) clinching 7-5, 6-3 victory over Alex Mularski at No. 6.
• Freshman Luke Surawski (Wethersfield, Conn.) picked up wins in both singles and doubles play for the Golden Bears.
• Western New England opened up a 2-1 lead through doubles play, as Kalmer and sophomore Justin Kohut (South Windsor, Conn.) teamed up for an 8-3 win over Matthew Smith and Jeff Tocco at No. 1., and the No. 2 duo of Surawski and classmate Daniel O'Neill (Branford, Conn.) edged Seng Ly and Zach Peter 9-8 at No. 2. Wentworth picked up a point at No. 3 doubles, as Mularski and Thinh Dang earned an 8-2 result over sophomore Michael Tran (West Haven, Conn.) and freshman Griffin Arnold (Meriden, Conn.).
• Wentworth claimed three of the first four singles matches to take a 4-3 lead in the match. Surawski earned a 7-5, 6-1 win over Ly at No. 3, while Tocco, Peter and Dang were victorious at No. 2, No. 4 and No. 5, respectively.
• Kalmer battled to a third set win over Smith at No. 1 to tie the match, before Yawgel clinched the triumph for the Golden Bears with his victory at No. 6.
Both teams wrap up their regular season schedules on Tuesday, as Western New England (8-8, 2-5 CCC) returns home to host Curry and Wentworth (3-8, 2-5 CCC) travels to Endicott.