Golden Bears edge Lakers, 1-0, before defeating Cadets, 5-0
LEESBURG, Fla. (March 13, 2017) – The Western New England University softball team extended its winning streak to five games with a pair of shutout victories over Oswego State University and Norwich University today at the Sleepy Hollow Sports Complex.
Western New England 1, Oswego State 0
• Freshman Paige Uliase (Meriden, Conn.) turned in another strong performance in the circle, improving to 2-0 this season with a complete game shutout effort. Uliase, who also went 1-for-3 at the plate, struck out seven batters and did not issue a single walk while allowing six hits over her seven innings of work.
• Senior captain Gabby Lavinio (Dalton, Mass.) provided Uliase with all of the run support she would need with her RBI double in the bottom of the third, while junior Lindsay Williams (Coventry, Conn.) singled and scored the game-winning run.
• Senior Katie Heselden (Fabius-Pompey, N.Y.), junior Gabriella Vertuccio (Massapequa, N.Y.) and sophomore Sarah McCullough (Montgomery, N.Y.) recorded two hits each for the Lakers.
• Western New England, which stranded a pair of runners in scoring position in the first inning and went down in order in the second, plated the only run of the contest in the third. Williams got it started by beating out an infield single, before advancing to second on a sacrifice. Two batters later, Lavinio doubled into the gap in right center field, allowing Williams to score as the ball rolled all the way to the fence.
• Oswego threatened in the bottom half of the inning, but Uliase struck Vertuccio out swinging to end the frame with two runners on base.
• Uliase kept the Lakers off the board the rest of the way as Western New England held on for a 1-0 triumph.
• Uliase lowered her earned run average to 1.56 with her complete game shutout effort.
• Senior catcher Corianna DeLisi (Tuxedo, N.Y.) walked twice out of the leadoff spot.
• Oswego freshman pitcher Jessica Roe (Wappingers Falls, N.Y.) was solid despite taking the loss, as she went the distance and allowed just one run on four hits.
Western New England 5, Norwich 0
• Junior Sarah Broderick (Woodbury, Conn.) posted Western New England's second impressive pitching performance of the day, as she earned the win (1-0) with five shutout innings while striking out seven batters and allowing just three hits.
• DeLisi and Lavinio each doubled twice, and junior Jen Zazzarino (Hopewell Junction, N.Y.) went 1-for-3 with two RBI.
• Freshmen Madison Miler (Long Lake, N.Y.) and Emily Oliver (Sagamore Hills, Ohio) led Norwich with two hits each.
• Zazzarino staked the Golden Bears to a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the second with a two-out, RBI single to center field.
• Western New England tacked on three more runs in the fourth to open up a 4-0 advantage. Junior Samantha Pelow (Torrington, Conn.) got it started with a leadoff walk, and sophomore Giovanna Russo (East Haven, Conn.) followed with a double to left center, putting two runners in scoring position. After Zazzarino drove in a run with an RBI groundout, DeLisi doubled to left field, scoring Russo. Lavinio capped the big inning two batters later with an RBI double to center field.
• Broderick struck out the side in the fifth, before giving way to senior Samantha DiGiovanni (Shirley, N.Y.), who took over in the sixth and worked around two singles and a walk to keep the Cadets off the board.
• Another RBI double for Lavinio in the bottom of the sixth gave the Golden Bears a 5-0 lead, and junior Emily Cramer (Stoughton, Mass.) pitched a perfect seventh to seal the win.
• Western New England's three pitchers combined to strike out a season-high ten batters.
• The Golden Bears have posted three consecutive shutout victories.
Western New England (5-1) is off tomorrow before returning to action on Wednesday with games against MCLA (2 p.m.) and Lancaster Bible College (4:30 p.m.) at the Sleepy Hollow Complex.