DiGiovanni registers complete game, four-hit shutout in game two
MILTON, Mass. (April 9, 2017) – The Western New England University softball team bounced back from a walk-off defeat with a shutout victory to earn a doubleheader split at Curry College on Sunday afternoon in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) play at D. Forbes Will Field. The Golden Bears suffered a 5-4, eight-inning setback in the opener, before posting a 2-0 triumph in game two behind senior Samantha DiGiovanni's (Shirley, N.Y.) complete game, four-hit shutout.
Curry 5, Western New England 4 (8 innings)
• Freshman Aimee Kistner (Taunton, Mass.) led the Golden Bears at the plate, going 3-for-3 with one RBI, while classmate Paige Uliase (Meriden, Conn.) and senior Gabby Lavinio (Dalton, Mass.) drove in one run each.
• Seniors Marissa Bruno (Milford, Conn.) and Mikayla Korona (Bellingham, Mass.) had three hits each for the Colonels, while junior Kevi Oatway (East Hartford, Conn.) went 2-for-5 with two RBI.
• Western New England scored two runs in the second inning despite recording just one hit. Senior Katie Wood (Westport, Mass.) led off with a walk, before advancing to second on a single by Kistner and third on a sacrifice. Wood came in to score on a passed ball, while Kistner crossed the plate on a groundout by Uliase.
• Curry claimed a 3-2 lead with three runs in the third, as junior Mikayla Lambert (Blackstone, Mass.) and Oatway recorded consecutive RBI singles, before junior Rachel Byrd (Hampstead, N.H.) drove in the go-ahead run with a double to right field.
• Still trailing 3-2 in the sixth, Kistner came through with a clutch, two-out single to center field, which scored Lavinio from third base.
• Lavinio gave the Golden Bears a 4-3 edge with a sacrifice fly in the top of the eighth inning, but Curry tied the score on Korona's RBI double before walking off with a 5-4 win when Oatway singled to center field with the bases loaded.
Western New England 2, Curry 0
• DiGiovanni turned in her best start of the season in game two, tossing a four hit shutout to help the Golden Bears salvage a split.
• Lavinio reached base three times with a walk, a single and a double, while Wood and junior Jenn Luba (Plymouth, Conn.) recorded one RBI each.
• After five scoreless frames, Western New England pushed across the only two runs of the contest in the top of the sixth. Junior Jen Zazzarino (Hopewell Junction, N.Y.) got it started with a single to left field, and Lavinio followed with a double to center, putting two runners in scoring position. After Kistner struck out, Wood reached on a Curry throwing error, allowing Zazzarino to score. Luba came up next and recorded an RBI groundout, plating Lavinio.
• DiGiovanni completed her impressive outing by retiring the final six batters she faced in order as Western New England earned a split.
• Western New England's shutout marks its seventh of the season.
• Lavinio went a combined 3-for-5 with two doubles and two runs scored over the two games.
Western New England (14-4, 6-2 CCC) returns to action on Tuesday at crosstown rival Springfield College, while Curry (10-12, 5-5 CCC) travels to Suffolk.