Western New England picks up first win of 2018 season
CLERMONT, Fla. (March 18, 2018) – The Western New England University softball team split a pair of contests against Oberlin (Ohio) College and Bowdoin College on Sunday at the Legends Way Ballfields.
Western New England 7, Oberlin 6 (10 Innings)
• Sophomore Tori Fisher (Poestenkill, N.Y.) and freshman Emily Cooney (Berlin, Conn.) accounted for five of Western New England's nine hits in the opener, as Fisher went 3-for-5 and Cooney posted a 2-for-4 effort with a walk, one RBI and one run scored.
• Sophomore Aimee Kistner (Taunton, Mass.) started in the circle for the Golden Bears and struck out seven batters while allowing just one earned run over six innings. Senior Emily Cramer (Stoughton, Mass.) came on in relief and gave up one earned run over four frames.
• Oberlin was led by sophomore Alexis Dill (Avon, Ohio), who went 3-for-5 with two RBI and two runs scored out of the leadoff spot.
• Junior Emma Downing (Delmar, N.Y.) also recorded three hits and drove in one run for the Yeowomen.
Kistner and Oberlin freshman pitcher Emily Tucci (Bloomingdale, Ill.) combined for nine strikeouts and surrendered no runs over the first four innings.
Both offenses broke out in the fifth however, as Western New England scored four runs with the help of RBI doubles from Kistner and classmate Paige Uliase (Meriden, Conn.), and Oberlin plated three runs on an RBI single from Dill and a two-run error.
After the Yeowomen tied the contest on Downing's RBI double in the bottom of the seventh to send the game to extra innings, both teams scored once in the ninth.
Senior Jenn Luba (Plymouth, Conn.) and Cooney both recorded RBI singles in the tenth, and Cramer limited Oberlin to one run in the bottom half of the inning to secure Western New England's first win of the season.
Bowdoin 2, Western New England 0
• Pounds was the lone Golden Bear to post a multi-hit effort in the second game of the day, as she went 2-for-3 at the plate.
• Uliase took the loss despite a solid outing in which she gave up just one earned run over seven innings in the circle.
• Bowdoin sophomore pitcher Kate Hoadley (Plaistow, N.H.) turned in a complete game shutout performance, striking out four batters and allowing five hits.
• Senior Natalie Edwards (Pasadena, Calif.) had two hits for the Polar Bears, while senior Claire McCarthy (Mercer Island, Wash.) and junior Caroline Rice (Santa Ana, Calf.) recorded one RBI each.
After three scoreless innings, McCarthy staked Bowdoin to a 1-0 lead with an RBI double to left field in the top of the fourth.
Rice then drove in a run with an RBI single in the fifth to increase the Polar Bears' advantage to 2-0.
Western New England was unable to convert on several scoring opportunities over the last three frames, as the Golden Bears stranded two runners on base in both the fifth and sixth innings, before leaving the bases loaded in the seventh.
Western New England (1-3) will be back in action tomorrow with games against Plymouth State (9 a.m.) and Allegheny (11:30 a.m.) at Legends Way.