Kistner records two-run double against Ephs
CLERMONT, Fla. (March 21, 2018) – The Western New England University softball team fell to Centre (Ky.) College (6-0) and No. 4 Williams College (13-2) on Wednesday at the Legends Way Ballfields.
Centre 6, Western New England 0
• Freshman infielder Cassidy Howe (North Andover, Mass.) led the Golden Bears in the opener, as she went 2-for-3 at the plate.
• Sophomore outfielder Sydney Pounds (Milford, Mass.) singled and stole a base.
• Centre sophomore outfielder RileyAnne Sharpe (Huntsville, Ala.) posted a 3-for-3 effort with one RBI and three runs scored at the top of the Colonels' batting order, while classmates Abigail Harper (Louisville, Ky.) and Sarah Aubuchon (Lebanon, Tenn.) drove in two runs each.
• Senior Erika Brewer (Frenchburg, Ky.) improved to 9-2 this season after striking out 11 batters and allowing just five hits over 6.1 innings.
Western New England had an opportunity to claim a lead in the top of the third inning, but the Golden Bears were unable to capitalize. After the first three batters reached base, Brewer buckled down and retired the next three in order, with the final two outs coming by strikeout.
The Colonels then took a 1-0 lead in the bottom half of the inning, as Sharpe led off with a single before coming in to score on a sacrifice fly by Aubuchon.
The Golden Bears stranded two more runners on base in the fourth, before Centre went up 2-0 in the fifth when Sharpe doubled and scored two batters later on a bunt single by Harper.
Centre plated four insurance runs in the sixth with the help of RBI hits from Sharpe, Aubuchon and freshman Melissa Collins.
Williams 13, Western New England 2 (5 Innings)
• Freshman Emily Cooney (Berlin, Conn.) and senior Lindsay Williams (Coventry, Conn.) both reached base twice with a single and a walk, while sophomore Aimee Kistner (Taunton, Mass.) doubled and drove in two runs.
• Sophomore Kirstin Mapes (Corona, Calif.) led the way for Williams, as she went 4-for-4 at the plate with a home run and three RBI, while also earning the win in the circle.
• Senior Lexi Curt (Moorpark, Calif.) went 3-for-4 with a double, a triple, three RBI and three runs scored.
After taking a 1-0 lead in the first inning, Williams put six runs on the board in the second to open up a 7-0 advantage.
Mapes highlighted the big inning with a three-run homer to left center, while Curt and junior Jessica Kim (Tustin, Calif.) recorded RBI singles and senior Brenna Martinez (Arvada, Colo.) added an RBI triple.
The Ephs increased their lead to 10-0 with three runs in the third, before Western New England broke through in the fourth with Kistner's two-run double to left center.
Williams capped the scoring with three more runs in the fifth, which triggered the run rule and ended the contest after five innings.
Western New England (2-6) will look to have a strong finish to its ten-game trip in Florida tomorrow, when the Golden Bears take on Clarkson and Wooster at 9 a.m. and 2 p.m., respectively.