Luba & Kistner lead Golden Bears to game two victory
MANSFIELD, Conn. (April 8, 2018) – The Western New England University softball team split a non-conference doubleheader with Eastern Connecticut State University on Sunday afternoon at Eastern Stadium.
Eastern Connecticut 5, Western New England 0
• Sophomore outfielder Tori Fisher (Poestenkill, N.Y.) was one of two Golden Bears to record a hit in the opener, along with sophomore catcher Mallory Donelan (Mineola, N.Y.). Fisher also reached base two other times on a walk and an error.
• Sophomore pitcher Paige Ulaise (Meriden, Conn.) allowed two runs (one earned) while striking out three batters over five innings.
• Eastern Connecticut was led by sophomores Crysta Wolski (West Hartford, Conn.) and Megan Hodgdon (Cheshire, Conn.), who both went 2-for-3 at the plate with one RBI and one run scored.
• Freshman Morgan Bolduk (Vernon, Conn.) was impressive in the circle, recording six strikeouts and surrendering just two hits during a complete game shutout performance.
After two scoreless frames, the Warriors claimed a 1-0 lead in the third inning when freshman Alexis Tyrrell (Torrington, Conn.) doubled with one out before advancing to third on a groundout and stealing home.
An RBI single by Wolski in the fourth gave Eastern Connecticut a 2-0 lead, and the Warriors added three more runs in the sixth, with the final two scoring on a pinch-hit, two-out single by freshman Kat Devolve (Plainfield, Conn.).
Western New England 2, Eastern Connecticut 0
• Senior Jenn Luba (Plymouth, Conn.) led the Golden Bears in game two, going 2-for-3 at the plate with a walk and two RBI.
• Senior Lindsay Williams (Coventry, Conn.) and freshman Emily Cooney (Berlin, Conn.) were also key contributors, as both players went 2-for-4 with one run scored.
• Sophomore Aimee Kistner (Taunton, Mass.) was dominant in the circle, striking out three batters and allowing just two hits on her way to a complete game shutout.
• Hodgdon and sophomore Jackie Lewis (Mystic, Conn.) had one hit each for the Warriors.
The pitchers were in control early, as Kistner and Eastern Connecticut sophomore Morgan Sanson (Thomaston, Conn.) allowed just one baserunner each over the first two innings.
Western New England loaded the bases in the third with the help of bunt singles from Cooney and sophomore Sydney Pounds (Milford, Mass.), but the Golden Bears were unable to capitalize as Sanson escaped the jam.
After stranding two more runners on base in the fourth, Western New England finally broke through in the fifth. Cooney led off with a single to left field, and Williams followed with another single to left. The Warriors brought Bolduk back in to pitch in relief of Sanson, before Cooney and Williams executed a double steal. Luba came up with one out in the inning and delivered a two-run single up the middle, which proved to be the difference in the contest.
Kistner finished the job for the Golden Bears, allowing just one baserunner in the fifth before retiring the side in order in the sixth and seventh innings.
Both teams will be back in action on Tuesday, as Western New England (9-7) travels to Salve Regina for a key CCC doubleheader, and Eastern Connecticut (9-12) remains at home to take on MIT.