Uliase drives in one run in each contest
NEWPORT, R.I. (April 10, 2018) – The Western New England University softball team dropped two games to Salve Regina University on Thursday afternoon in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at Toppa Field.
Salve Regina 8, Western New England 6
• Senior Jenn Luba (Plymouth, Conn.) and sophomores Aimee Kistner (Taunton, Mass.) and Paige Uliase (Meriden, Conn.) had two hits each for the Golden Bears in the opener. Kistner and Luba both doubled and drove in two runs, while Uliase recorded one RBI.
• Salve Regina was led by junior Amanda Riley (Barrington, N.H.), who went 3-for-4 at the plate with a double, one RBI and three runs scored.
• Junior Holly Kathios (Pelham, N.H.) and freshman Jaycee Garrigan (Uxbridge, Mass.) drove in two runs each, while sophomore Elizabeth Lombardo (Thomaston, Conn.) went 2-for-3 with a walk, a triple, one RBI and three runs scored.
Western New England jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the first inning. Kistner got the scoring started with a two-out RBI double to right field, and Uliase followed with an RBI single.
The Seahawks pulled ahead with three runs in the bottom half of the inning, however. Lombardo drove in Salve Regina's first run with a one-out triple, before scoring on a double by Riley. The home team added another run on a Western New England throwing error.
The Golden Bears tied the score on an RBI single by sophomore Sydney Pounds (Milford, Mass.) in the second inning, but the Seahawks took the lead for good with three runs in the third. Garrigan put Salve Regina back in front (5-3) with a two-run single and junior Megan Guest (Meriden, Conn.) added an RBI single later in the frame.
Kathios' two-run double in the bottom of the sixth extended the Seahawks' advantage to 8-3, and Salve Regina withstood Western New England's three-run rally in the seventh to secure the win.
Salve Regina 4, Western New England 1
• Senior Lindsay Williams (Coventry, Conn.) went 1-for-3 with a walk and scored the Golden Bears' lone run in the game two setback.
• Kistner was solid in the circle, striking out seven batters and allowing one earned run over six innings.
• Salve Regina senior Francesca Galeazzi (Lynn, Mass.) posted a 3-for-3 effort at the plate and scored a run, while Lombardo doubled and drove in two runs.
• Freshman pitcher Andi Nelson (Candia, N.H.) improved to 5-3 with the win after striking out five batters and surrendering one run on four hits over a complete game performance.
Western New England again scored first, this time taking a 1-0 lead in the third inning on an RBI single by Uliase.
The Seahawks pulled ahead for good in the bottom half of the inning, however, as Lombardo drove in two with a double to left field and Riley followed with an RBI double to right center.
Another RBI double off the bat of Kathios in the sixth capped the scoring as Salve Regina extended the final margin to 4-1.
Western New England (9-9, 4-2 CCC) will be right back in action on Wednesday, as the Golden Bears return home to host Keene State in non-conference action at 3:30 p.m. Salve Regina (9-11, 6-2 CCC) takes on Eastern Nazarene in Newport on Friday.