Golden Bears edge Owls 1-0 in opener, before falling 2-1 in game two
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (April 11, 2018) – The Western New England University softball team split a pair of one-run contests with Keene State College on Wednesday afternoon in non-conference action at Golden Bear Park. Western New England edged Keene State 1-0 in the opener, before the Owls rebounded with a 2-1 victory in the nightcap.
Western New England 1, Keene State 0
• Sophomore Paige Uliase (Meriden, Conn.) started in the circle for the Golden Bears in the opener and struck out six batters while allowing just two hits over seven shutout innings to improve to 5-5 this season.
• Sophomore Tori Fisher (Poestenkill, N.Y.) and freshman Allie Buzzeo (Stamford, Conn.) had two hits each, and Fisher drove in the only run of the contest.
• Junior pitcher Molly St. Germain (Dover, N.H.) took the loss for the Owls, but she surrendered just one unearned run on four hits over six innings.
After being limited to two singles over the first three innings, the Golden Bears broke through in the fourth.
Senior Jenn Luba (Plymouth, Conn.) led off and reached on a Keene State throwing error, before advancing to second on a groundout. St. Germain retired the next batter for the second out of the inning, but Fisher came up next and delivered a double to center field, scoring Luba from third.
Uliase cruised through the fifth and sixth innings, retiring the side in order in both frames. She allowed a one-out single in the seventh, before getting the final two outs to seal the win for the Golden Bears.
Keene State 2, Western New England 1
• Buzzeo and freshman Madison Murabito (Liverpool, N.Y.) both went 2-for-4 at the plate in Western New England's game two setback.
• Sophomore Aimee Kistner (Taunton, Mass.) went the distance in the circle, striking out eight batters and allowing just one earned run on three hits over seven innings.
• St. Germain gave the Owls all of the offense they would need with her first inning, two-run homer, which proved to be the difference in the contest.
• Freshman Olivia McGrath (Dorchester, Mass.) got the start for Keene State and picked up her first win of the season after allowing one run on four hits over 5.1 innings. St. Germain came on in relief and recorded the final five outs to earn the save.
The Owls, who were held to a single run in their game one loss, took a 2-0 lead in the top of the first inning when St. Germain hit a two-run home run to left center field.
Western New England cut its deficit in half in the third inning, as Murabito led off with a single through the left side of the infield, before eventually coming in to score when Buzzeo recorded an infield single. The Golden Bears missed an opportunity to do more damage, however, as they left the bases loaded.
Western New England failed to capitalize again the following inning, when they stranded three more runners on base. The Golden Bears had one final chance to pull even in the sixth, as they loaded the bases for the third time, but Luba lined into an inning-ending double play.
Western New England (10-10) will be back in action on Thursday with two more non-conference contests at Westfield State, while Keene State (5-13) travels to Western Connecticut on Saturday.