Golden Bears improve to 8-2 in CCC play
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (April 14, 2018) – The Western New England University softball team rolled to a pair of shutout wins over Wentworth Institute of Technology on Saturday afternoon in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at Golden Bear Park. Western New England posted an 8-0, six-inning triumph in the opener, before completing the sweep with a 6-0 win in game two.
Western New England 8, Wentworth 0 (6 Innings)
• Sophomore Aimee Kistner (Taunton, Mass.) led the way for the Golden Bears, going 2-for-3 at the plate with a walk, a home run, two RBI and two runs scored. Kistner was also dominant in the circle, striking out six batters and allowing just two hits over six shutout innings to improve to 6-5 this spring.
• Sophomores Tori Fisher (Poestenkill, N.Y.) and Paige Uliase (Meriden, Conn.) drove in two runs each, while freshman Allie Buzzeo (Stamford, Conn.) went 2-for-4 with one RBI and one run scored.
• Freshmen Brionna Myers (Seabrook, N.H.) and Kacey Russo (East Walpole, Mass.) accounted for Wentworth's only two hits in the contest.
Western New England took a 3-0 lead in the first inning and never looked back. The first two Golden Bears to come to the plate were retired, but the next three walked to load the bases. Uliase got the scoring started with a two-run single to center field, and freshman Cassidy Howe (North Andover, Mass.) followed with an RBI single through the left side of the infield.
The Golden Bears increased their advantage to 5-0 in the second inning, when Fisher laced a two-run single down the left field line, before adding single runs in the fourth and fifth.
Kistner ended the contest due to the eight-run rule with her solo homer in the bottom of the sixth.
Western New England 6, Wentworth 0
• Senior Jenn Luba (Plymouth, Conn.) powered the Golden Bears in game two with a 2-for-3 effort at the plate, as she walked, doubled, homered, and scored two runs.
• Uliase went 2-for-3 with two RBI, while Buzzeo tallied two more hits and drove in two runs. Uliase also got the start in the circle and improved to 8-5 after striking out four batters and surrendering just two hits over four shutout frames.
• Senior Megan Berryman (Middleboro, Mass.), junior Caroline Shea (Abington, Mass.) and freshman Kayla DeMedeiros (South Dartmouth, Mass.) recorded one hit each for the Leopards.
Western New England got off to another strong start with two runs in the bottom of the first inning. The Golden Bears loaded the bases as Buzzeo led off with a single before Luba and Kistner walked. Uliase came up with one out in the inning and singled down the left field line, plating Buzzeo and Luba.
Western New England extended its lead to 5-0 with three runs in the third, two of which scored on a two-out single to right field by Buzzeo.
The Golden Bears capped the scoring for the day in the fourth, as Luba led off the frame with a solo homer to extend the final margin to six.
Both teams will be back in action on Tuesday, as Western New England (15-11, 8-2) travels to Nichols and Wentworth (8-17, 1-9 CCC) returns home to host Mount Ida.