Howe records two hits in both games
BIDDEFORD, Maine (April 13, 2018) – The Western New England University softball team earned a pair of Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) victories over the University of New England on Friday afternoon. The Golden Bears built an early lead en route to a 7-5 win in the opener, before posting a 3-1 triumph in game two.
Western New England 7, University of New England 5
• Sophomore Paige Uliase (Meriden, Conn.) led the way both at the plate and in the circle in the opener, as she went 2-for-3 with a walk and two RBI while also pitching 6.2 innings and allowing three runs to improve to 7-5 this season.
• Freshman Cassidy Howe (North Andover, Mass.) also posted a 2-for-3 effort at the plate with a walk, one RBI and one run scored, while sophomore Carlie Moss (Delmar, N.Y.) went 2-for-4 with two RBI.
• UNE junior Caroline Schoenbucher (Barrington, N.H.) doubled and drove in two runs, while classmate Anna Sessa (Tewksbury, Mass.) went 3-for-3 and scored a run.
Western New England got off to a strong start with five runs in the first inning. With two runners on base and one out, Uliase singled to center field, scoring senior Jen Zazzarino (Hopewell Junction, N.Y.) from third base. After going up 2-0 on a fielding error, the Golden Bears tacked on three more runs as freshman Emily Cooney (Berlin, Conn.) drew a walk with the bases loaded and Moss followed with a two-run single.
The Golden Bears extended their advantage to 7-0 in the fourth on RBI singles by Uliase and freshman Madison Murabito (Liverpool, N.Y.).
UNE broke through the following inning, when Sessa led off with a single to right field before coming in to score three batters later on an RBI groundout by junior Alexis Kapsambelis (Merrimack, N.H.).
The Nor'easters continued to fight their way back into the contest with four runs in the sixth to cut their deficit to two (7-5). Sophomore Melissa Jakubowski (Danbury, Conn.) drove in a run with a double to left field, while junior Ali Kuechler (Fairhaven, Mass.) recorded an RBI groundout and Schoenbucher added a two-run double later in the frame.
Uliase retired the side in order in the seventh, however, to seal the game one win for the Golden Bears.
Western New England 3, University of New England 1
• Freshman Allie Buzzeo (Stamford, Conn.), sophomore Sydney Pounds (Milford, Mass.) and Howe led the offense with two hits each in game two, while senior Jenn Luba (Plymouth, Conn.) homered.
• Sophomore Aimee Kistner (Taunton, Mass.) earned the in the circle (5-5) with a complete game performance, as she struck out seven and allowed just one run on four hits.
• UNE sophomore Sarah Lachapelle (Gilford, N.H.) was the only Nor'easter to reach base twice, as she walked and singled.
UNE opened the scoring in the third inning, as Kapsambelis led off with a walk, before advancing to second on a bunt single by freshman Meg Harvey (Westmoreland, N.H.) and crossing the plate on a Western New England error.
The Golden Bears took the lead for good with two runs in the top of the fourth, however. Howe led off with a double to left field, and moved up to second base on a single to right center by junior Giovanna Russo (East Haven, Conn.). After a sacrifice fly by sophomore Mallory Donelan (Mineola, N.Y.) tied the contest, Buzzeo ripped a triple to left, scoring Russo from second.
Luba led off the top of the fifth with a solo home run to left field to increase Western New England's advantage to 3-1, and Kistner kept the Nor'easters off the board over the final three frames.
Both teams will be right back in action on Saturday, as Western New England (13-11, 6-2 CCC) returns home to take on Wentworth, and UNE (12-12, 5-3 CCC) hosts Nichols.