Western New England finishes 12-6 in CCC play
BRISTOL, R.I. (April 22, 2018) – The Western New England University softball team wrapped up its Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) schedule with a pair of wins over Roger Williams University on Sunday afternoon at Paolino Field. The Golden Bears posted a 5-2 win in the opener, before rolling to an 8-0, five-inning triumph in game two.
WNE 5, Roger Williams 2
• Seniors Jenn Luba (Plymouth, Conn.) and Lindsay Williams (Coventry, Conn.) led the Golden Bears in the opener, as they both went 2-for-4 at the plate and scored one run.
• Sophomore Sydney Pounds (Milford, Mass.) walked, singled and drove in two runs.
• Sophomore Aimee Kistner (Taunton, Mass.) earned the win (8-6) in the circle after striking out nine batters and giving up two runs over seven innings.
• Roger Williams sophomores Taylor Chatowsky (North Kingstown, R.I.) and Alexis Romano (Shirley, N.Y.) had two hits each for the Hawks, while senior Valerie Moran (Syosset, N.Y.) and freshman Katrina Goria (Wyckoff, N.J.) drove in one run apiece.
Western New England put two runs on the board in the top of the first inning, as sophomore Tori Fisher (Poestenkill, N.Y.) was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded and Pounds recorded an RBI on a fielder's choice.
Neither team scored over the next three innings, before the Golden Bears increased their lead to 5-0 with three runs in the top of the fifth. Western New England again loaded the bases, and freshman Cassidy Howe (North Andover, Mass.) drove in the first run of the frame on a fielder's choice. Pounds followed with a walk, which brought in another run, while freshman Madison Murabito (Liverpool, N.Y.) added an RBI groundout.
Roger Williams finally broke through in the bottom of the fifth on Goria's RBI double, and the Hawks scored again in the sixth as Moran recorded a sacrifice fly. Kistner was able to strand two runners on base in both the sixth and seventh innings, however, as the Golden Bears took game one.
WNE 8, Roger Williams 0
• Sophomore Paige Uliase (Meriden, Conn.) powered the Golden Bears in game two, as she went 2-for-3 at the plate with three RBI and also earned the win (10-7) in the circle with four shutout innings.
• Luba went 1-for-2 with a walk, two RBI and three runs scored, while freshman Allie Buzzeo (Stamford, Conn.) singled twice and scored two runs.
For the second straight game, the Golden Bears got off to a strong start with two runs in the first inning. After the first two batters were retired, Luba reached on a fielding error and Kistner walked. Both baserunners came in to score with the help of a single by Uliase and another error on the same play.
Western New England extended its advantage to 5-0 with three runs in the third. Luba recorded a two-run single in the frame, and junior Giovanna Russo (East Haven, Conn.) added an RBI groundout.
A two-run single by Uliase highlighted Western New England's three-run fourth as the Golden Bears opened up an 8-0 cushion and completed the sweep.
Western New England (19-15, 12-6 CCC) returns home to take on Springfield College in a non-conference doubleheader on Tuesday, before opening the CCC Tournament next weekend. Roger Williams (6-27-1, 5-12-1) hosts Johnson & Wales on Tuesday and UMass Dartmouth on Wednesday.