Young posts fourth double-double of the season with 15 points, 13 rebounds and five steals
BRISTOL, R.I. (January 11, 2017) – In a showdown between the last two remaining unbeaten teams in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) play, the Western New England University women's basketball team dropped a hard-fought, 57-47 decision to Roger Williams University this evening at the RWU Recreation Center.
Western New England, which struggled offensively in the first quarter and faced a ten-point deficit at halftime, rallied to regain the lead in the third quarter. Roger Williams answered with a 9-0 run that stretched into the fourth quarter, however, and held on to hand the Golden Bears their first CCC setback of the season.
• Senior forward Paige Young (Berlin, Conn.) posted her fourth double-double of the season with 15 points, 13 rebounds and five steals.
• Senior guard Sammie Battaini (Leominster, Mass.) was also in double figures with 11 points and five assists.
• Senior forward Emily Anderson (Rocky Hill, Conn.) finished with ten points and three rebounds.
• Roger Williams senior center Bridget Quilty (Duxbury, Mass.) led all players with 17 points on 7-of-12 shooting from the field and 3-of-4 from the free throw line to go with 11 boards and five assists.
• Junior guard Anna Walther (Northampton, Mass.) added 15 points, four rebounds and three assists.
• Western New England was unable to find its offensive rhythm in the first quarter, as Roger Williams raced out to an 8-0 lead before Battaini got the Golden Bears on the board with a three-pointer just over six minutes into the contest. The Hawks led 10-3 after ten minutes of play as Quilty knocked down a pair of free throws with 55 seconds on the clock.
• Western New England's offensive struggles continued early in the second quarter, as Roger Williams opened the period with an 8-0 run, extending its advantage to 15 (18-3) on a Quilty layup at the 5:37 mark.
• A three-pointer by junior guard Dorothy O'Neill (Staten Island, N.Y.) with 4:10 left in the half sparked the Golden Bears, who connected on their last three field goals of the quarter and trailed by ten (26-16) at the break.
• Led by Young's six points, Western New England rallied early in the third quarter and pulled to within one (28-27) at the 5:58 mark, before taking the lead 1:32 later on a three-pointer by Anderson.
• Roger Williams closed out the frame with a 5-0 run, however, before scoring the first four points of the fourth quarter to open up a 37-30 lead with 9:20 remaining.
• The Golden Bears trailed by just five (39-34) a minute later after consecutive baskets by sophomore forward Aliyah Brito (Brockton, Mass.).
• Western New England trailed by the same margin (48-43) with 3:04 on the clock following a layup by freshman guard Meghan Orbann (East Hampton, Conn.), but the Golden Bears were unable to get their shots to fall down the stretch as Roger Williams held on for the win.
• Western New England was held to a season-low 30.5 (18-of-59) shooting percentage.
• The Golden Bears held a 26-24 edge in points in the paint.
• Western New England's loss snaps a nine-game winning streak that began on November 22.
Western New England (10-3, 6-1 CCC) will look to bounce back on Saturday, as the Golden Bears return home to host Eastern Nazarene. Roger Williams (9-4, 7-0 CCC) hits the road to take on Gordon.