Young records second straight double-double and 5th this season with 11 points and 13 rebounds
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (January 14, 2017) – The Western New England University women's basketball team was limited to 29.5% shooting from the field in a 61-54 setback to Eastern Nazarene College this afternoon in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at the Alumni Healthful Living Center.
• Senior forward Paige Young (Berlin, Conn.) led the way for the Golden Bears, posting her second consecutive double-double and fifth overall this season with 11 points, 13 rebounds and two steals.
• Senior forward Emily Anderson (Rocky Hill, Conn.) scored a team-high 13 points and grabbed six boards.
• Junior Shelby Holmes (Seeley Lake, Mont.) fueled the Eastern Nazarene offense with a game-high 22 points on 7-of-11 shooting from the field, 5-of-8 from three-point range, and 3-of-3 from the free throw line to go with eight rebounds and two blocks.
• Juniors Jaysa Cooper (Frisco, Tex.) and Jacquelin Arretche (Los Banos, Calif.) added 11 points each off the bench for the Lions.
• Western New England led 6-0 a minute and a half into the contest after consecutive baskets by Young. Eastern Nazarene tied the score at 9-9 four minutes later on a free throw by Arretche, before taking its first lead (13-12) on a Holmes free throw at the 2:22 mark. The Lions closed out the first quarter with a 10-0 run and held a 19-12 advantage through ten minutes of play.
• The Golden Bears used a 5-0 run early in the second quarter to pull to within three (22-19), but they were unable to close the gap as Eastern Nazarene extended its lead back to six (33-27) at the break.
• Junior guard Dorothy O'Neill (Staten Island, N.Y.) connected from beyond the arc at the 6:41 mark of the third quarter to make it a two-point game (38-36), before Western New England pulled back ahead on a corner three-pointer by Anderson a minute later.
• Eastern Nazarene scored the final six points of the period and led 49-43 heading into the fourth quarter.
• A layup by Cooper on Eastern Nazarene's second possession of the fourth stretched the visitors' lead to eight, but the Golden Bears battled back with an 8-0 run, knotting the score at 51-51 on an O'Neill jumper with just under four minutes remaining.
• Trailing by two (56-54) after Anderson sank two free throws with 2:37 on the clock, Western New England had opportunities to tie or take the lead on its next three possessions, but was unable to get its shots to fall.
• A three-pointer by Eastern Nazarene junior guard Ashley Rendon (La Puente, Calif.) with 18 seconds remaining effectively sealed the contest, and senior BreAnna Fraser (Henderson, Nev.) added two free throws seven seconds later to extend the final margin to seven.
• The Lions outrebounded the Golden Bears 41-33.
• Eastern Nazarene's 26 turnovers resulted in 26 points for Western New England.
• Fraser finished with nine points, nine rebounds and five assists.
Both teams will be back in action on Tuesday night, as Western New England (10-4, 6-2 CCC) hosts Curry and Eastern Nazarene (11-3, 5-3 CCC) returns home to take on the University of New England.