Anderson leads four Golden Bears in double figures with 17 points
WENHAM, Mass. (January 21, 2017) – The Western New England University women's basketball team outscored Gordon College 48-24 in the second hall to pull away and earn an 88-55 victory this afternoon in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at the Bennett Center.
• Senior forward Emily Anderson (Rocky Hill, Conn.) led four Golden Bears in double figures with a team-high 17 points on 5-of-9 shooting from the field, 3-of-7 from three-point range and 4-of-4 from the free throw line to go with seven rebounds, one block, one steal and one assist.
• Senior forward Paige Young (Berlin, Conn.) registered her sixth double-double of the season with 16 points, 11 rebounds and five assists.
• Junior guard Dorothy O'Neill (Staten Island, N.Y.) finished with 13 points, four assists and three rebounds, while senior guard Sammie Battaini (Leominster, Mass.) added 11 points on 4-of-6 shooting (3-of-5 3-pt FG).
• Freshman guard Meghan Foley (Malden, Mass.) led the Fighting Scots with 17 points, five rebounds and four assists in 29 minutes off the bench.
• Sophomore guard Brooke Dyson (Houston, Tex.) chipped in with 11 points on 5-of-10 shooting.
• After a jump shot by Dyson tied the score at 5-5 early in the first quarter, Young answered with a jumper on the other end and Anderson followed with consecutive three-pointers and a pair of free throws as Western New England opened up a 15-5 lead at the 5:06 mark of the period. Gordon closed out the quarter with a 7-0 run, however, and trailed by just three (19-16) after ten minutes of play.
• The Fighting Scots pulled to within one on their first possession of the second quarter, but Western New England answered with a 7-0 run and eventually extended its lead to ten (33-23) on a straightaway three-pointer by O'Neill midway through the frame. O'Neill scored eight of her 13 points in the quarter as the Golden Bears held a nine-point cushion (40-31) at the break.
• Western New England broke the game open in the third quarter, outscoring Gordon 25-9 with the help of 11 points from Battaini. The senior drained three-pointers on Western New England's first two possessions of the second half, and Anderson added a triple at the 8:16 mark to make it an 18-point game (49-31). Battaini's third trey of the quarter with six seconds on the clock gave the Golden Bears a 65-40 lead heading into the fourth.
• Young and freshman forward Courtney Carlson (Woodbury, Conn.) scored four points each as Western New England opened the fourth quarter with a 9-0 run, pushing its advantage to 34 (74-40). The Golden Bears would go on to win by 33, their second straight 30+ point victory and fourth this season.
• Western New England shot 43.9% (29-of-66) from the field, 39.3% (11-of-28) from three-point range, and 65.5% (19-of-29) from the free throw line.
• All 14 players on Western New England's roster got in the game and 13 Golden Bears scored.
• Western New England outrebounded Gordon 42-31.
• The Golden Bears recorded 26 assists on 29 made field goals and scored 28 points on 24 Gordon turnovers.
Western New England (12-4, 8-2 CCC) returns home to host Salve Regina on Tuesday, while Gordon (6-11, 4-6 CCC) travels to Quincy to take on Eastern Nazarene.